Home Buying in Smithtown>Question Details

Kathleenrhat…, Home Buyer in Smithtown, NY

When buying a new home does an engineer need to do the inspection of a house before you write up the contract? Can it just be a contractor?

Asked by Kathleenrhatigan@yahoo.com, Smithtown, NY Fri Jun 1, 2012

Consider your own engineer's inspection before contract, what is your attorney advising....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 1, 2012
Sure, but why not use a reputable engineer? What's your recourse if the contractor misses something that would have been a deal breaker?....

Web Reference: http://ww.bverealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 1, 2012
No - You can have your lawyer add a - subject to inspection clause to your contract. I would recommend doing one 1st but I am not sure of your circumstances.
We had contractors we knew in first just to give us a rough estimate. Once we were comfortable we could cover costs of what they noticed we got in inspectors. It's so worth it to cover your investment. Try to get the inspector in first for the item of the most cost to see where you stand before bringing in others. We recommend HouseMasters, 53 page report received by 2AM on the same day (but we had lots of issues).
It is the buyers choice whether to do a home inspection or not - If you want one, in my professional opinion -getting it before signing contracts is the smart move.
New Homes have to conform to Town Engineering and Building Codes. The Certificate of Occupancy Certifies that the Town Building Inspector has passed the Home to all Uniform Codes. Personally, I believe it's overkill to have anyone looking at the home, unless you see obvious signs of concern. If you feel you are investing enough and want the extra security, than go all the way and hire a Certified P.E. They have the education and certificate for a reason and have the correct qualifications to look at new construction critically. I can offer you referrals if you need them.
An engineer inspection is not a mandatory thing, it is something that a buyer may opt to do. Usually an engineer will do the inspection prior to the buyer going into contract so that the buyer is aware of any "major" problems that there may be with the house. The inspection is usually at the buyers expense and it is totally their choice as to who they bring in to do this. Sometimes they may choose to bring in a licensed inspector, other times it may be a contractor or even a family member. This inspection is to give them piece of mind as to what, if any, problems there may be with the house they are considering purchasing. Who they choose to use to get this piece of mind is up to their discretion.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

See the following link to find out why you should have a newly constructed home inspected.
A home inspector carries insurance in case they missed something in the inspection. In addition a good home inspector knows specifically what to look for because that is what he does. I think it may be worth the investment to give you some extra assurance. A new house isn't a gurantee.
Hello Kathleen,
New home purchase - either it is to be built or an inventory.
In both these cases the builder has there own 3-4 stage inspections done.
But I would highly recomend to have your own inspection as well.
It does not have to be an engineer.
You will have to write up a contract before getting an inspection.
I suggest you view my videos also.

Kadibhai (Kadi)
Prudential Gary Greene, REALTORS - Katy
Phone: 832-228-7978
Fax: 281-646 1841
Email: kadi.kadibhai@garygreene.com
Web: http://www.har.com/kadi
Ready to Buy a Home? http://youtu.be/hNTC1dyKZm4
"The highest compliment I am ever given is when I am
referred to your family & friends!"