Home Buying in 77043>Question Details

renmccurry, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

When buying a home outside of the flood zone and wanting to remodel, possibly adding an addition, are there any restrictions for the city of Houston?

Asked by renmccurry, Houston, TX Fri Apr 5, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Mark is correct. You will need permits in Houston or most areas that are within city limits. Professional contractors will know what you need and what is necessary to do. I recommend speaking to several contractors to get bids on what you are looking to do. Also request references so you can see and speak with people about the work they have done in the past.

Hope this helps.

Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
You would need to get permits to perform remodeling of a home in the city of Houston. Your best bet is to seek gaudiness from a professional contractor with experience in the area you own the home.

Likely not too many restrictions other than boundaries (not going into easements/right-of-ways). Must be within established codes for electrical, plumbing, etc.

By the way, same rules apply inside or outside of a flood zone.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 5, 2013
If the home is in a subdivision (which will likely be the case) you'd need to submit detailed plans (including architectural renderings) to the HOA for approval. Some are more restrictive than others, so you'll need to do your homework. Be aware that properties within a given subdivision may or may not be in the 100 yr. floodplain, and that FEMA re-draws the maps periodically ... your home could be in the AE zone (the most vulnerable) one day, and X (out of the flood zone) when the maps are revised. Of course, the opposite is also possible.

If you're lucky enough to find something in an unrestricted area, you'd need to comply with the current building codes. That information can be obtained from Public Works.

I hope this helps ... best of luck.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
Web Reference: http://www.har.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 5, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Texas > Harris County > Houston > 77043 > Home Buying in 77043 > Question
Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer