Melanie, Home Buyer in Richmond Hill, Queens,...

When buying a home how many agents should you work with? If you have more than 1agent looking is that

Asked by Melanie, Richmond Hill, Queens, NY Tue Jun 9, 2009

wrong? I find that some are more experienced in some areas than others

Answers

10
You need one really good agent that is responsive, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in helping you get the right home. Experience is not the deciding factor in my opinion, a good agent referral service is The Lenders Network they will hook you up with some of the best agents in your area.
I am going to echo what some of my colleagues have said...

Having 1 buyers agent (that is responsive) working for you is the best scenario. That 1 agent will keep your best interests at the forefront of their mind. You may not get the full attention of an agent if they know that you are working with several agents. (only 1 agent will end up getting paid on the deal...this is just the frank reality of the matter.)

I believe you will find a much bigger array of options when comparing Mortgage Brokers.
Bertram,

There are many brokers around and not all are created equal... They vary based on level on interaction required, type of transaction, and size/frequency of the deal.

I would be happy to have a short conversation with you to compare and contrast the Lenders from a Consumer Stand-point. I just can't reveal all of my tips and tricks on here. Please feel free to call me to hear my Broker Breakdown for you: (917) 746-1983

Sandra
The other answers are correct.

Here's an analogy: Suppose your car needs new brakes. Would you take your car to a dealer for just the left front brakes? Then to Midas for just the left rear brakes. Then to a local mechanic for the right front brakes? And then to your brother-in-law for the right rear brakes? I doubt it. But that's exactly what you'd be doing by trying to use multiple agents.

Choose one, the best one, and stick with him or her.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
All you need is one but why bother looking on your own. Ask your friends and family for recommendations. They will be more then willing to tell you their bad or good experiences. Some might know areas better then others but our hands are tied as to what we can and can not say about a area.
I agree with everyone who answered. One agent is best. Interview a few and take it from there. Since agents turn to MLS by working with several agents, you may go to the same house numerous times. Not only is that a waste of time for the agent but it is also a waste of time for you. As you look at different properties tell your agents your likes and dislikes. It helps them find homes you may be interested in.

Good luck to you.
All you need is one good agent. If you are looking in totally different areas then I would say you may need more than one. But truth be told, unless your looking in Brooklyn and in NJ at the same time, all you need is a good realtor that is willing and able to service your needs. One thing you may consider is hiring a buyers agent, who is generally compensated by the seller and specializes in assisting buyers.

Attorney/Broker
Short Sale and Foreclosure Defense
Serving Home Sellers
Melanie,

Well we all said the same thing. Find an agent you are comfortable with and stick with them. Time is precious to everyone and one agent will best be able to meet your needs.

Just one thing though: I don't know how it works in Queens, but you do not HAVE to sign a buyer agreement (meaning you promise to use them exclusively , and the agent promises to work just for you) in New Jersey. Just find an agent you are confident in after interviewing several if need be.

Good luck :)

Mary
Once you find an agent that meets your needs and you establish a relationship with, that's the agent to stick with. Don't waste people time by switching from one to another, everyone's time is just as precious as yours, and while one agent is trying to accomodate you, he/she may be losing another valuable client, if the shoes were reversed how would you feel about that; also keep in mind agents are only paid on commission only and no gas reimbursements, all expenses incurred including time come out of that check--would you like to work for free--just some food for thought. With said, interview as many as needed, and choose the one you are most comfortable with as far as knowledge, personality, etc. and stick with that person.

Anna
You really should find that one agent that is ready to jump in and get you where you need to be. Eventually you need to sign a buyer broker relationship, once that is signed you have committed yourself and they also have committed themselves to you. If you feel the need to keep contacting additional agents, you really havce not found the right fit.
Melanie,

Once you find an agent who you are comfortable with and whom you feel is experienced, stick with one agent. They get to know your needs, likes and dislikes better, and can show you any house you want to see, regardless of who listed it, rather than calling the listing agent of each house you may be interested in (which is not always to your best advantage either).
An agent who feels they may be working for you now, but you may ultimately not use them once you purchase, may not give you their full attention. Remember, that agents get paid only if they close a transaction, and quite honestly, if they have a choice of spending their time and energy on a "sincere" buyer versus one who may not ultimately use them to purchase, they may not want to waste valuable time.