Home Buying in Cumming>Question Details

Tdoleman333, Home Buyer in Alpharetta, GA

When buying a home do buyers want basements or a 3rd story loft? Or 2 stories on a slab? In order from most to least of what the buyer wants.

Asked by Tdoleman333, Alpharetta, GA Thu Mar 21, 2013

We are looking to buy a home but we want to know what sells well for resale purposes. We're leaning torward a basement or a 3rd story, but want your opinion.

Answers

7
Brick two stories and also story and a half are popular with current buyers....basements with a level lot are a plus too....upgraded kitchens and large masters are always a bonus along with open and spacious living areas. Traditional and european designs with clean lines and landscaping will attract buyers from the get go and get them into the home for a serious viewing and purchase decision. Ranches and story and a half with master on the main are becoming more popular with buying clients who are downsizing.

Considering the above and previous posts select a home that is livable for you now with as many of the amenties mentioned in a solid neighborhood that has maintained value and pride of ownership is obvious to you.

Chuck Green, Realtor
Chattahoochee North
678-578-2788
chuckgreen@kw.com
Web Reference: http://chuckgreen.com
Basements, 3rd story loft, 2 stories on a slab. Having said that, it's very hard to generalize, because some people don't care about a basement, or don't want the walk up to a 3rd story, so the rules don't always hold true. Plus you are talking about 3 different price points.

The "wow" factor of the house is the most important, so look at the kitchen and master bath first, what upgrades are there, and the overall "roominess" of the feel of the house. Many times you win or lose the buyer by the time they walk in the door, as first impressions are everything, so the curb appeal of the front is important.

If the price is the same and the lots are both good, then I would recommend the basement over the 3rd story. Finally, you have to look at the overall price range of the neighborhood. Is the basement putting you at the top end of the neighborhood? That may not be a good thing, as you want to stay in the middle range of values.

Hopefully you have a great agent helping you out with lots of experience in the neighborhood you are interested in. They will be able to advise what the most popular property is when you are comparing several, for resale purposes. Don't rely on the sales pitch of the subdivision agent (if you are looking at new) as their job is to get rid of their inventory.

Kathy

Katherine L. Morrison, CRS
Realtor/Owner
Team Realty Group
Alpharetta, GA
404-697-4626 (direct)
kathy@chipandkathy.com
If I were buying for resale, I would buy a story and 1/2..Master on the main with full basement. Boat door in basement is a real selling feature as well as a guest room on the main as well as the master. It costs more to have a big first floor(sq footage) but it sure increases the saleability..Of course it costs a lot to build. Choosing between a 3rd floor or basement is a no brainer..go for basement. Betty 770-928-7439,
not a basement because at any given point , the builder would end up adding 35K for an unfinished basement, never trust the builder or a real estate agent because they get kickbacks, 3rd upper level would cost less and afford more room-is more popular since last 3 yrs.
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Well, tdoleman, a 3-story is very unique so you have going for you and if it a sizable third floor, like a couple of bedrooms, bath, and loft, then you basically have a finished basement for free! In other words, an unfinished basement will typically cost 28,000 to 36,000, depending on the size and type of the home, and then you have to add on the “finishing” costs which could be anywhere from 19,000 to 26,000 for a few area (aforementioned). At D.R. Horton, we have a 3-story home as well as 2-story homes on full basements. Please check out http://www.drhorton.com for more information for the area in which you are interested and be sure to ask if the new homes being built in the community will hold a finished basement. And, as always, being the #1 Builder in the Nation, D.R. Horton is here to help!
thank you very much point well taken on the 3rd story loft!
Flag Thu Mar 21, 2013
Hey! How are you? A lot of homes in the area are two story homes on slabs. Homes on a full basement that are two stories sell for more and have a higher resale value. There are a lot of beautiful homes on slabs and basements. For resale purposes I would recomend a two story home on a full basement. Maybe unfinished this way you can finish the basement to your personal preference. If you need help I would be more than happy to find you a home! You can contact me directly at 770-842-1370 or at giangiobbem@gmail.com. Sellers pay commission. My name is Mike! Best of luck!
I believe the basements are still desired by many but the 3rd story loft is the best option as it never gets the moisture problems the basements tend to get. Slab third BUT many are getting smarter with getting smaller homes with less costs and matainence. Over all kitchens, open floor space and nice baths will always bring buyers! I am a buyers agent in the area. I live and work here so if you want one of the best, call me directly. I guaranteed my work.
Thank you so much
Barbara martin
404-583-8708
Barbara,
Thank you for your professional opinion on Trulia. We were wondering what price range is the most popular for buyers in Cumming, GA?
Flag Thu Mar 21, 2013
In terms of what buyers want, I would say a third story loft. In terms of what is available within the inventory of the north Atlanta market... That would be a 2 story with basement. The least desirable being 2 story on basement. Do not leave out the MOST popular style, ranch on a basement! ;)