Home Buying in Godwin>Question Details

Lisa, Home Buyer in Godwin, NC

When applying for a USDA loan is it required to be hooked up to county water if you have a private well?

Asked by Lisa, Godwin, NC Thu Mar 24, 2011

Answers

2
In NC, we have many areas that are not "hooked up" to county water - or community systems. You will need a well test in some cases. I think you will find most USDA Home Loan Underwriters in NC will follow these FHA Septic Field Requirements
Lisa, public water is not essential for a USDA loan. Usually a well test is necessary for underwriting purposes to make sure there are no existing issues.
The only time, I've encountered an issue in regards to a home where public water was available to the property in question but there is an existing, functioning well on the premises was with a Reverse Mortgage Loan (FHA). The bank in question along with the inderwriter wanted home owner to connect to public water before closing.
Good luck Lisa.