Stew, Home Buyer in Cleveland, OH

When I buy a house and back taxes are owed will I be responsible to pay that part?

Asked by Stew, Cleveland, OH Tue Jan 13, 2009

Answers

3
Stew-
You need to make sure that your offer SPECIFIES who is responsible for taxes up to the date of transfer.
John Wirsing
Keller Williams Realty Greater Cleveland
440-487-2193
jwirsing@kw.com
Taxes, whether the property is Bank Owned or Privately owned are paid at the time of closing. The seller should credit to you the buyer the amount of taxes that are in arears. In most cases in Ohio the property is always at least 6 months behind in taxes. Unless otherwise agreed too, the Seller is responsible for taxes through the day of transfer.

David Wakeman
RE/MAX Classic
david@wakemanrealtors.com
Yes. Property taxes stay with the property and can become a lien. You should have recieved a credit from the seller at closing prorated for the calender year to pay any taxes that will become due in the future for 2008.

The 1st half of 2008 is due now and the 2nd payment will be due in the summer. (the due date varies by county)