Home Buying in Yardley>Question Details

Mellie, Home Buyer in yardley or Doylestown

What would the property taxes be on a home in Yardley, PA costing 300,000? What about Doylestown, PA?

Asked by Mellie, yardley or Doylestown Sun Oct 21, 2007

We are exploring a move from the Princeton, NJ area to Yardley, Pennsylvania , to lower our taxes and move to maintenance free townhome living. How would the housing costs and property taxes compare for the two areas? In Doylestown, we are looking at the borough. Thank you!

Answers

10
Gita Bantwal ABR/CRS/SRES/CDPE’s answer
You will be surprised that even if the price is the same taxes will be different , even in the same community.. Some home owners may have had their taxes lowered by appealing them. So get a listing of all homes that suit your criteria and look at the taxes. You may be surprised.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Hi Mellie,
I did a quick search for you in Doylestown Borough - for townhomes in the $275 - $325,000 price range.
There are a couple of neighborhoods - one is Sandy Ridge Acres - homes are about 25 years old - 1500 sf Associatuion fee is $140/quarter. Taxes run around $4000/year.
Another neighborhood is Lantern Hill - this is younger in age - only 5 years or less - also about 1500 sf (for this price range) association fees are $117/month and taxes around $3800/year. Very nice homes.

My cousin moved here from Princeton and loves it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly and I'd be happy to help. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.cityservice.com
Melli, Taxes are determined by multiplying assessment x millage. The County Board of Assessment sets the assessment at the time of original purchase based on market value. They use a percentage determined by the State based on the prior years sales. TheCounty & local Municipalities and School Districts set their millage each year based on their annual budgets (dividing the budget by the total assessments of their respective properties). Assessments are increased with certain improvements to the real estate by the County Board of Assessment. Since Bucks County has not had a re-assessment since 1972, the older properties that have had no improvements have low assessments. The info you are looking for is too individual to predict. You need to work with a Realtor to access more details about taxes, home owners' association fees or condo fees. If you haven't already chosen a Realtor to work with, I'd be happy to hear from you. I recently sold a Princeton townhouse resident a single family home in Doylestown for a lesser tax bill .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
In PA, property taxes are normally determined by a formula of an arbitrary assessment determined by the local municipality and multiplying it by a "millage" rate. A few municipalities have begun experimenting by assessing real estate based on a percentage of sale price, mostly confined to new construction. Please ask your REALTOR for advice or contact the local municipalities where you intend to buy about their property tax procedures.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
The other thing to be aware of when looking at PA vs. NJ and Yardley/Lower Makefield vs. Doylestown and other areas is the earned income tax. Many PA municipalities have a local earned income tax that is not reported in public records. One should take this into consideration when purchaing. Whether or not the municipality has an earned income tax can be determined by contacting the municipal offices...sometimes you can find it on the municipal websites. Generally speaking, many find that when moving to PA they save on taxes, even in an area with an earned income tax.
Hi Mellie, Roughly for taxes in the Yardley area for a home up to $300,000 you would most likely be under $4500. For Doylestown it would be around/under $4000. It really also depends on the age of the home too which could make the taxes a bit higher in either area. If you'd like me to send you some properties which will show you taxes along with very detailed information on each property currently for sale up to $300,000. I can do so. Please call or email me to let me know. Thank you, Tammy Smith
For homes that have sold in the last six months between $280-$320K in Yardley and Lower Makefield, the taxes run between $4,300 and $5,300. Newer homes tend to have higher taxes for a given Square footage.

Hope this helps.
Hi Mellie:
Yes its generally true comparatively real estate taxes iand housing costs PA vs NJ are much lower on a similarly priced homes. The easiest way for you to check this out is search area listing in the area in buck county that interest you. As far as property taxes go look at the listing details on the properties that interest you. Included in the listing details is not only the Asking Price but also the annual property taxes. That will keep it the simplies for you for your comparisons. Please feel free to contact me if you have any houses in mind which you would like to know the taxes as well as other information. You can also search for homes and research tax information directly via my website at http:// http://www.MyRealtorsDirect.com There is no need to sign in unless you would like to creat a favorite list. I am available if you have any questions or concerns and wish you the best of luck on your possible transition. Tom Napoli, Realtor
Ask your Realor since they can help you locate this information on the listings.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
Hi Mellie,
Property taxes vary between townships and there are factors such as lot size and square footage that effect the numbers. Please feel free to contact me if you have any houses in mind which you would like to know the taxes as well as other information. You can also search for homes and research tax information directly via my website at http://www.LeeStiber.com There is no need to sign in unless you would like to creat a favorite list. I am available if you have any questions or concerns and wish you the best of luck on your transition.
Web Reference: http://www.LeeStiber.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
What you might try doing is searching local real estate web sites the provide the tax information. When an agent lists a home in the MLS, they enter all sorts of information including the taxes. However, when that data is transferred to national or common websites, only some of the information is given. The sites that give you more information will also want more information from you in return - such as email, phone, status, etc.
Ruth
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558