Home Buying in Kiawah Island>Question Details

kate_coyne, Home Buyer in Kiawah Island, SC

What would the property tax be for a home that is retail valued at 1.7M in the Indigo Park neighborhood on Kiawah?

Asked by kate_coyne, Kiawah Island, SC Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

2
Also, there could some varying interpretation about what you mean by 'retail value'. I see a home listed at $1.7 million. The tax assessed value is at $1 million. It is over priced, or is the tax assessor's system of assigning value a little off?

Just something to think about.

Have a great day.

All the Best, Dan
Kate, the answer would depend on if it is a primary residence or second home. Primary homes are taxed at a 4% rate. Secondary homes are at 6%. I found a home assessed at 1.6 million on Kiawah, taxed at 6%, and the taxes in 2010 were $18,000. On the other hand, I found another Kiawah home assessed at $1.89 million, taxed at 4%, and the taxes in 2010 were $6250.

The Charleston County website has good information on understanding how tax bills are calculated. See: http://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/Auditor/Property…

I hope this help give you an idea of what you were looking for.

All the Best,
Dan Mengedoht
Broker Associate
Carolina One Real Estate
843-478-9366
Hi Dan, I'm hoping you can clarify the example of the property tax of the $1.89M home on the island. In 201, the taxes were $6,250. If the house is paid in full, does the property tax %age change once the home is paid? Second question, Does the homeowner pay that $6250 yearly or monthly?
Flag Sat Feb 2, 2013