Nancy Kupka, Home Buyer in Highland Park, Los A...

What would the estimated cost be of building a hillside home in Mt. Washington

Asked by Nancy Kupka, Highland Park, Los Angeles, CA Tue Mar 19, 2013

Answers

5
Rip’s answer
Far more than building on a flat lot. There are lots of extra hoops one must jump through to build on a hillside in Los Angeles, and not all of the property may be usable for building. In addition there are likely to be grading, retaining wall and foundation costs not associated with building on a flat lot, that will vary from hillside lot to hillside lot. It's not really a question that can be answered generically.
Thanks so much Rip, I think I got it...more money, more issues to be aware of. Thanks for the heads up!
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013
Hi Nancy,
If you have not chosen an architect, I would interview at least 3 and get their ideas. They should be able to give you an idea of what approach they recommend and some budget pricing.
Mack MacReady
mack@kw.com
I live on a hillside just across from mt washington in montecito heights. To add a 500sf addition with new foundation was estimated from architect, contractor and structural engineer to be 400 to 450 psf.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Nancy,

I do not think a Realtor is qualified to answer that question. Need a geological report on the land and building contractor for professional answer to question.Good Luck!

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty Marina del Rey
310.853.9933
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
The cost of building is rising due to the increase in lumber and fuel cost. I would contact a local builder that comes with good credentials, they would have all the answers for you.