Home Buying in Milford>Question Details

Max, Home Buyer in Milford, CT

What would be a fair price to offer 15 Anderson Avenue, Milford CT 06460 and which is a better beach community Laurel Beach or Woodmont?

Asked by Max, Milford, CT Sat Aug 14, 2010

I was thinking around 300 to 320K. According to Zillow the house can be sold between $289K – $422K. I know Zillow is not 100% accurate in determining the actual value of a home but it provides a good estimate. I'm interested in listings in Milford that are the most safe for families, have great schools, and by the beach under $400 with 4 bedrooms. Which area is better on taxes? Thanks for the help in advance!

Answers

5
Karen Kline’s answer
Max,

Do you know it does not cost you a penny to hire a professional Realtor who knows the market and will make sure you do not overpay? The Seller pays the Realtor on your behalf at closing. You should not be doing all the leg work, you should be enjoying the experience and getting excited! Even if the home is a FSBO (For Sale By Owner) we can help! I personally am 1 of 100 CT Realtors who is a CERTIFIED NEGOTIATION EXPERT. This is of great value to you especially if you end up in a multiple offer situation which is happening again.

I would like to offer to take you around Milford for a day, two or even three (unitl you are sure of what you like) and show you all the different areas and what you get for your money. My opinion of a particular area may be different then yours and it may also be different than another agents. Its best to spend the time with Realtors who know the area. Better on taxes? all of Milford has the same tax rate, it is multiplied by the Assessed Value which is determined by ammenities.

If you're interested in learning more about Milford please give me a call at 203-535-5706 or simply visit my website at http://www.RealEstateGalleryCT.com and click on Towns. Good luck!

Karen
One of the wonderful things about Milford is that it has "grown up" through its neighborhoods and each neighborhood has its own personality. I lived in town for 12 years and found that people are very attached to their neighborhoods and regardless of which one you are in, it is described by those living there as the best neighborhood or area in town!.

You will not find differences in taxes based on area; there is only one mill rate in Milford, but some beaches have beach association fees. Regarding schools: originally Milford schools had huge differences - they were allowed to reflect the inhabitants of the area and so a more working class neighborhood's schools had different goals than a neighborhood where more professionals lived. The town has been working very hard to rid itself of these discrepencies and make education the same, regardless of area but, of course, that is easier said than done. I think you will be hard pressed to find data on which particular schools perform best because the data is reported for the entire town.

Regarding pricing, there will always be a range which would be considered the fair market value but only you know what the value of the home is to you. If you will need to do a lot of renovations in order for the home to work for you, the home will be worth less than the market value to you. In order for the sale to occur, you will have to come to a meeting of the minds with the seller and only then will you know what the home will sell for.
Hi Max,

Actually, Zillow does a Bullseye to all the homes sold in a target area. It doesn't take into account, upgrades, conditon, location (meaning cul d sac vs a busy road). It has not seen the homes or know the unique area's of Milford. Woodmont would sell for more than Devon for instance. So what you need is a Buyer Market Analysis from a qualified, full time Top Agent in the area who has seen the properties and can quide you through a fair, but inticing offer for the seller to actually accept. You also need an agent who knows the agents in town and has a good working relationship with them. If you are in need of such an agent, I would be more than happy to help. I can be reached at 203-257-0030 or visit http://www.milfordshorelinehomes.com for other properties in this price range. Good luck to you what ever you decide. References upon request.
Max, As you pointed out Zillow estimates vary widely but an offer on the higher side of your thinking looks like a decent starting place. As far as the property itself it sits on a fairly busy corner so it may not be an ideal spot for a young family. Also real estate commissions are built into the pricing so going it alone on the buy side does not save you any money. I'd suggest finding an agent to help you negotiate your way into your next home.
Good Luck... Dan @RunningRealtor
Contact me at 203-915-5071 and I will give you all the details.
Diane Murray, Realtor
ERA Property World
Milford, Ct