Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Rajtan40, Renter in Allendale, NJ

What would be a better buy Upper east Manhattan or Park Slope Brooklyn or Brooklyn heights? seeking a 2.5 bedroom property with a budget of $1.5 MM

Asked by Rajtan40, Allendale, NJ Tue Sep 10, 2013

Answers

9
Are you a New Yorker? any one of those areas are great places to reside. It is for you to deside where you will love tyo live. I agree with Anna brocco response.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 10, 2013
No, Just moved to the area.
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013
Thanks all for the prompt response! I work on neglected diseases and relocation is always a possibility. Do each of these areas have good re sale prospects (reasonable price of course)?
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013
Areas to reside in are all about personal preferences, financials, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.; where would you be happiest......
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 10, 2013
Rajtan40,
That is a great question. You have identified three terrific neighborhoods. I am not clear what you are trying to say by a 2.5 BR. Are you looking for a 2 BR or a 3 BR? There will be a big price differential between the two. The Upper East Side offers some very good value compared to many Manhattan neighborhoods. Park Slope has been consistently rated the top neighborhood by New York Magazine as well as a top 5 in the whole country by Money Magazine. Brooklyn Heights is historic and beautiful and a short hop to Manhattan. The question really comes down to where do you want to live? What things are important to you in a neighborhood? This is a very personal decision. I would suggest you spend time in each of these and see how you feel and what each has to offer. As a lifelong NYC resident, I can tell you that each neighborhood has it's unique flavor and character, and in fact, that changes over time. As far as best value, I would say pick where you feel most at home and then work with a skilled, experienced agent. A great agent will guide you through the process step by step.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http:/jenetlevy.halstead.com
Hi Rajtan,

It depends on whether you're looking for a certain lifestyle and commute that a neighborhood provides, versus the investment characteristics these various neighborhoods provide. I'd be happy to discuss.

Jacob Fine
Bond New York
212 792 9258
Please call me for assistance. My name is Priyta and I can be reached at 917-499-6500. Thank you and good luck.
Clearly your personal preference and life style should be deciding factors. Whether you want a co-op or condo and proximity to local transit also is important. You have a larger number of apartments from which to choose on the Upper East Side. The 2nd Avenue Subway, which is scheduled to open at the end of 2016, may also improve property values for properties closer to the river. Then again, the neighborhood feel of Park Slope and/or Brooklyn Heights may interest you more. Take a walk through the areas. Check out the amenities. See where you would be happiest to live. I have sold property in Brooklyn and Manhattan (and Queens for that mater), so if I can help you in any way please let me know.

John Speaks
Bond New York
917-697-6035
All the areas you mentioned are great places to reside. Where do you currently reside? Are you looking to be near work or family? Call me, I'd welcome the opportunity to assist you in your search.

Barbara Schechtman
DJK Residential
(917) 968-5085
Depending on where the agent does business you might be "steered" accordingly which by the way is illegal in our business so as Anna said below, you should make that decision based on personal preference.
All the areas you listed are nice areas. It really depends on you and what you like best about them. I can assist in finding you a place. Give me a call 646-243-4516 or send me an email akilahw@nestseekers.com so we can move forward and find your new home.

Akilah Williams
NestSeekers International
646-243-4516
Akilahw@nestseekers.com