Home Buying in Thousand Oaks>Question Details

dr.bhoomz, Home Buyer in Camarillo, CA

What wild animals are indigenous to the Thousand Oaks/Westlake area ?.?

Asked by dr.bhoomz, Camarillo, CA Sat Feb 1, 2014

Answers

9
graceslick1’s answer
lots of rabbits, squirrels, possums, and of course the dreaded coyotes. We also have raccoons living near. Once in a while a bobcat comes down from the hills. There are rats if your near a field, owls, and snakes. It the 28 years I have lived here, I have had a rattler in my yard twice. Had baby possums in the backyard eating my dogs food. I have seen deer in Wildwood Park.
Also include opossum, roadrunners, skunk, other types of snakes like king snake, squirrels, of course lots of birds including hummingbirds. You might see more animals depending on where your home is located; I live near Wildwood State Park. We use to see deer all the time but over the years they have changed their route as we don't see them as often. But all these animals are in and around
the Conejo Valley.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 2, 2014
Scott provided a good list, however, he missed a couple. Bear have been seen in the area along with Blue Heron, Sea Gulls and Ibis. . Then there are the various Frogs, Lizards and snakes. I am probably leaving out a few more but you can find the complete list in the Conservation Element as noted by Barry.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 2, 2014
Mountain lion, bob cat, coyote, raccoon, deer, rattlesnake, owl, hawk, rabbit. I've seen them all.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 2, 2014
http://www.camarillowildliferehabilitation.org

This is another helpful site . Your concerns also depends upon where in these areas you are considering purchasing .
If hills you will encounter more than if in a neighborhood not as close to open space.
Keith Geller
805.358.1116
Bre # 00919059
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 2, 2014
Your question is best answered by spending time reading the CONSERVATION ELEMENT of the
THOUSAND OAKS GENERAL PLAN: http://www.toaks.org/government/depts/community/planning/gen… I hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 1, 2014
My pleasure, Megen :-)
Flag Mon Feb 3, 2014
Thanks your input has been very helpful. The Thousand Oaks General Plan have a great deal of information. Thanks again.
Flag Sun Feb 2, 2014
Last night, I woke up to a very strange loud sound in my condo complex. My little dogs went crazy. At first I thought something was stuck in the garbage bins. It sounded like a high pitched squeeeeeel, over and over. It was not a cat. Not a cyote. I ran down to the parking lot to see if I could help free it, somehow. The sound stopped as I got outside. As I walked towards the end of the path between the condos, facing east towards the retaining wall and some very tall trees, I saw the shadow of two critters. They were about two or three times the size of a cat walking all all fours with pointy ears, long snout and a long balancing tail, slightly but not too much bushy. One went up a tall tree. The other continued to explore past me between the wall and trees then came back and went up after it's partner. I heard what sounded like a hiss and a soft mewing sound. The large tree brach bent down under the weight. They seemed to be watching me. I thought I might be scaring them and decided to go back inside. My complex has only one entrance. There is a large cinder block retaining wall that keeps critters out but not humans. These could climb, so they could climb the wall. My first thought was racoons, maybe a fisher (like a weasel) only with big pointy ears and long skinny leggs. We don't have a very impressive wild life listing, but this is something I've never seen or heard before in the twenty years I've lived here (off TO near Erbes). Just thought I'd mention the sighting.
The area's most well known wild animal is the Coyote! If your home backs up to open space then you need to be aware of their presence in regards to small dogs and other house pets. At night it's best to be outside with any small pets and never leave them unattended. On a lighter note we also have a wonderful array of wild bunnies that you may find frolicking around your yard. :)
If you have a small dog you will want to go outside with the dog. I usually go outside before I let the dog out. I turn on all outdoor lights, if its dark out, and check the yard for any wild animals. Certain areas have large white owls which you would want to watch for if you live in that area.