Home Buying in Vernon Hills>Question Details

Bruce, Home Seller in Vernon Hills, IL

What towns, or areas in Lake county have the lowest real estate taxes? I pay over $18K in Vernon Hills!

Asked by Bruce, Vernon Hills, IL Sat Jan 9, 2010

I have a gorgeous 12 year old (4300 Sq. Ft.) home in Gregg's Landing and want to stay here in the area, but HATE these taxes! Where can we buy or build a smaller equally gorgeous house without getting scammed by Lake County taxes. Or, will we need to move out of the county altogether? Help.

Answers

3
Hi Patricia,

I agree with Amy that Lake Forest tends to have the most reasonable tax rate in Lake County when comparing the taxes assessed vs. the true market value.

Cook County as a whole tends to have lower taxes than Lake, but they are closing the gap.
Hi, Patricia,

If you want to stay close consider Lake Forest. They have some of the lowest taxes and would allow you to remain very close to the amenities you currently enjoy. Let me know if there are any other questions you have.
Web Reference: http://www.AmyKite.com
There are many factors in the cost of your taxes. They take into consideration square footage, # of bdrms, # of bathrooms and what the school districts are. For instance, homes in the Stevenson HS district pay higher taxes than Vernon Hills HS etc. If you tell me approx what you would need/want to pay in taxes I can tell you where you can find a house like yours for that amount. Are you looking to stay at around 13-15K or even less than that?

Kathy Diegel
Coldwell Banker
Kathy.Diegel@cbexchange.com
847-707-8907