Home Buying in Bergen County>Question Details

N Davis, Home Buyer in Ridgewood, NJ

What towns in Morris/Bergen County should I be looking with a budget of 325-375K for a single-family home?

Asked by N Davis, Ridgewood, NJ Thu May 21, 2009

(first time buyer) with ideally 3br-2bath model? Being a first time buyer, would prefer a home that is in good condition. Proximity to NJ Transit trains to NYC is also desired. And without any known pollutant (Radon, etc) in the city. Please advise.

Answers

5
Peter J Rogers’ answer
Well if you need to get to Park Ridge that probably takes most of Morris county out of the picture as it would involve a fairly long road trip along Rte 80 then north on the Parkway.
Now the towns I am going to mention are reasonably priced in that you should get a decently updated house in the upper end of your price range although I would suggest that you be a little flexible on the second bath as nearly all the towns in your range are old and tthe houses were built with only 1 bathroom. The system of rail lines supported by express buses cover most if not all the towns but you cannot guarantee that you will be able to walk to the station or the bus.
As far as the schools are concerned the easiest way of assessing is to view the rank of the high school as published by New Jersey monthly magazine which every year ranks all 316 public high schools in the state. As a rough guide anything in the top 100 is going to be pretty good.
Hillsdale (school ranked 25), Westwood (56), New Milford (99), River Edge (37), Waldwick (93), Fairlawn (81), Midland Park (44). Emerson (55)
Unfortunately house prices tend to go up the better the school district.
You might want to consider Wayne in Passaic county (2 High schools 46 & 60)
Let me have an email address and I will be happy to send you listings for you to get an idea of whats out there
http://www.progers@Weichert.com
Thanks for your responses Randy, Maria and Peter. I realize that I didn't provide enough parameters to narrow down on a list of towns. Here're a few things that I am looking for -

1) Proximity to the train station/express bus stop for commute to NYC (commute not more than about 60 minutes to NYC-port Auth-penn station)
2) Within about 30-40 minutes drive to Park Ridge, NJ (my current work location)
3) Proximity to parks and outdoor activities a plus
4) good school system and safer-than-NJ-average neighbourhood
5) Open to sub-urban home or in-town locations both.
6) Price range 325k-380k for 3br/2ba single family home

Your responses are appreciated.
Hello N Davis,

You will be able to choose a new home from a long list of possible contenders. Because of this you may want to take a look at what other things interest you. How long of a commute, for example, (include distance to the train station) is comfortable? Would you like an in-town location or something a little more suburban? Is proximity to parks and other outdoor activities a plus? These are just some of the questions that should help you narrow the list of "towns to call home".

As a first time home buyer, do call an agent to step you through the process. There are many things to consider and you should work with someone that can make sure you are have not left something off the table (including the new $8,000 tax credit that may be available to you).

Best of luck with your search. Please let me know if this was of help or if I can be of any other help.
Web Reference: http://www.RandyHurley.com
Hi there,

Your best bets are Denville, Morristown, Morris Twp., Mt. Arlington, Mt. Olive, Netcong, sections of Randolph (proximity to Dover rail station). There are MANY 3BR/2 BA homes available for sale in the price range you stated. Over the past few months I've seen some fine homes in completely move in condition which could possibly interest you.

As for known pollutants, prior to purchasing your home a home inspection would be conducted to ensure any possible present level of radon is below the acceptable levels.

As I've been working with buyers in that price range, I can assure you the inventory is plentiful! There are also a great number of homes that you could purchase which are priced a bit beyond your price range, however have been on the market so long that it's possible you could purchase them at a price agreeable to your budget.

If you'd like to see the inventory for yourself, give me a call at 201-240-8699 and I can schedule a tour of not only homes, but areas you'd be interested in.

"Antoinette" Scognamiglio, GRI
Sales Associate
Prudential New Jersey Properties / Morristown Office
Direct: 201-240-8699
Office: 973-538-5555 x 305
Before we go any further Radon gas is found all over Northern New Jersey. It does not appear in all homes but if it is identified in a basement it is an easy and cheap thing to remediate and poses no health threat.
You can find homes in your price range in a number of towns in Bergen and Morris counites.
In Bergen - Elmwood Park, Fairlawn ,Teaneck, Bergenfield New Milford are some examples These towns would have either trains or express busses to NYC
. In Morris county most towns north of Rte 80 will have houses in your price range, especially the farther West you go. you are more likely to have to rely on and express bus for the commute.