Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

What should you look for in a home inspection company?

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Tue Jan 22, 2013

Answers

4
Ken Alpha’s answer
I do not recommend any company that does not have a professional engineer in their employ. Questions on the foundation, roof, load-bearing walls, etc. are best answered by an engineer, in most cases. One company usually can do the mechanical, electrical, plumbing and structural inspections and another will do the Wood Destroying Insect inspection. Cost alone should not be the determining factor as the inspections are generally the best investment in a real estate transaction. The Buyer can get a good assessment of the overall condition of the property before they move forward in the transaction (with option periods so prevalent). Recommendations from friends can be good or I usually will give a Buyer a list that contains several inspectors and suggest that the Buyer call and visit to gain a comfort level.

Ken Alpha
Broker Associate
Heritage Texas Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
I agree with Ken Alpha. I always recommend that my clients use Inspectors who are Structural Engineers and who have been licensed and practicing in their field for a number of years. A sharp eye and knowledge gained through years experience are of great value. If you are working with an experienced Realtor, they should be able to give you several Inspectors to contact and speak with. It is also a good idea to have your chosen Inspector return to the home once any agreed upon repairs have been made to make sure that the repairs are done professionally and correctly before closing on the home. This may cost you a small additional fee but it well worth it. It is also important to have new construction inspected, do not think that because it is new, that there are no possible issues that need correction.
You will need to have a wood destroying insect inspection done separately.

Good luck on your purchase!

Myra Ephross ABR.ASR,CNE,CHMS
Prudential Luxury Homes International

Prudential Anderson Properties
711 East 11th Street
Houston, TX 77008
281 650-9779 cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
We would recommend a high level of experience and customer care. Most general inspectors follow the state required format with their inspections, better inspectors do more than the minimum. They should not be an alarmist in regards to what they find. They are not there to make/break the deal, but to identify all issues they find and explain why items could be an issue.

Some will offer one stop shop such as coordinating other inspections like termite and pool. Some allow credit cards for payment or allow the payment to be deferred to closing. Some will offer high tech items like infa-red scanning or air quality review.

Always best to interview several, see how long they have been in the business, full time/part time, will they do the inspection or will it be others, how quickly do you get the reports, can they access the home and more? Your seasoned Realtor should have a list of local inspectors that are a cut above, but buyers are always welcome to hire any inspector they chose. Remember, good inspectors are not cheap! In the Houston market $800-$1,000 is typical for a +2,500 sqft home.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4356
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 23, 2013
You need to get references from people that have had their homes inspected by the company and get as much feedback as possible. I would skip the reviews online honestly, most bad reviews come from competitors. The main thing is to find out what problems, if any that the references experienced.
The inspector should be as thourough as possible. I would have an A/C and Heating company check the HVAC equipment after the inspector, as I have heard most inspectors are not thorough enough when it comes to this.

1% Cash back at closing to all my buyers!

Alan Harper
REALTOR®
World Wide Realty
http://allrealestate.us
281-905-2414