Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Trulia Chica…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

What should one do if they suspect that someone has experienced unlawful discrimination in a housing transaction?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Mon Nov 12, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Depending on the protected class that was discriminated against, you may contact the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) either on-line http://www.hud.gov or by calling them at (800)669-9777. You can contact the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) http://www2.illinois.gov/dhr/Pages/default.aspx or call Chicago: (312)-814-6200. You can also contact Chicago Lawyers' Committee For Civil Rights Under Law, Inc. http://www.clccrul.org/ or calling (312) 630-9744 (voice)
 -- this might be the best place to start. However, you can check out any of the websites to see what types of discrimination are covered by what statutes and where you might get the quickest response or relief.

Good luck!

Tom Kelley
Real Estate Consultant
Dream Town
4553 N Lincoln
Chicago, IL 60625
773.945.0130 office
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
There is a Fair Housing Support Center Clinic at the John Marshall Law school that will actually send out discrimination testers to catch them in the act. I worked with them and they are top notch. http://www.jmls.edu/fairhousing/center/

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
Call HUD, the board, the agents company.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
you can report suspected discrimination at the link below.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
The person discriminated against should report the incident and the details to the proper government authorities.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer