Home Buying in Whittier>Question Details

Ricardo Gonz…, Real Estate Pro in Whittier, CA

What should be my first step before looking for my first home?

Asked by Ricardo Gonzalez, Whittier, CA Wed Feb 19, 2014

The very first step before looking at homes period.. Should be talking to a loan officer or bank, in order to find out how much you qualify for. The worst feeling in the world is finding the home of your dreams, then finding out you cant buy it. So talk to a lender. If you are ready to look for your home I can help you get set up with a lender.

Answers

4
Hi Ricardo,

I would first self evaluate and see how much you can afford. Then speak to a reputable lender. They will assets your financials and your DTI (debt to income ratio) and will let you know how much you qualify for and your interest rate. I work with a few great lenders. Reach out to me if you need some help.

Oscar Gonzales
WestCo Realty
562-244-2055
BRE#01771716
Speak to a lender first to find out how much home you can afford and get prequalified for a mortgage.
I agree, one of the very first steps should be speaking with a loan officer to discuss your financial status and how much you can get approved for. They will walk through the many benefits available to first time home buyers.
In addition, we offen give our buyers the attached checklist to get them thinking about what they truly want in a home. This gives us a great idea of what criteria are important and where to begin our search. It also helps us get to know our clients better and how we can help them reach their long term real estate goals.
Best of luck to you with your search--it is an exciting process!
I would do that only after you've done your own self assessment. Do you have a stable job for the last two years? Do you have a stable rent history for the last two years? Do you have any collections, chargeoffs, judgements, liens, bankrupcties? Answer these first, then talk to a lender.