Home Buying in Grand Rapids>Question Details

Bree, Both Buyer and Seller in Michigan

What should I consider before buying a home on a large man-made pond? As far as resale value goes, is a pond a positive or negative to most people?

Asked by Bree, Michigan Mon Mar 5, 2012

Do most buyers prefer to have a wooded area behind their home versus an association pond? Just wondering what the pros and cons are. Thanks.

Answers

9
Is it spring fed or well fed. If well fed, how deep is the well, how deep is the pond, is the pond lined, how old is the pond (has it come through alright through dry spells?), if it is an association, who pays for the well and
maintenance? If association, do they use chemicals? I think most buyers would prefer to have a wooded
area behind their home instead of an association pond - depending on the ages of children, if any.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
Bree,
The pro's far out way the cons. The cost to put in a large pond is huge, not to mention the permits required. It also depends on the pond. Can u swim in it ? Can you put a small boat in it ? Are there fish in it ? Do geese populate it and present a problem ? Do deer visit ? How large is it. Are there affiliated costs to maintain it ? I can go on and on.
Good luck, I do not work in the grand rapids vicinity, however I can suggest one of the better listing agents for you. Thank You, Steve
Web Reference: http://www.michiganhome.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
Generally, I feel like most people like ponds in their backyard, but some people with little kids don't like to have it.
Web Reference: http://www.brekschutten.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 6, 2012
The simple answer- it's just like a pool. Some love it, some hate it, some don't mind it. Personal preference.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
It's generally a plus to have a pond but it could be an indication of a high water table which could mean water problems in your basement. You loose some buyers with small kids but gain a lot of buyers who want water but can't afford the lakefront homes.
Web Reference: http://www.danstegman.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
I will throw my two cents in. I have a pond in my front yard. Just a small pond for gold fish.

Generally ponds have very little with value. Because you have a pond your home isn't worth $10K more than the next home (generally speaking).

When comping a home out just look at square footage, bedrooms, and bathrooms (sometimes lot size).
Web Reference: http://www.grhomes.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
I agree with Jeannine it is a toss up - I have had people with young children not like it for safety reasons and others just love the view. In my opinion if you can not put some kind of boat on it - it will not be as desirable. As it may be viewed as a lot of work to maintain with out much reward. A Realtor can show you comps for the area - or near by area's and show you how long homes have been on the market with a pond. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
I think it's a toss up -- either one would be an attraction to buyers. However, with the woods, it will depend on whether or not the woods can ever be removed or developed. If they can, then there is no guarantee that the view will always remain the same, which could be a concern. With an association pond, it depends on what activities are allowed there and if the buyers are comfortable with that level of activity behind them. Usually, though, any body of water is viewed as a plus. If you are trying to evlauate a specific location, let me know and I can give you more guidance what I know the location.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
If a person wants a home with a pond, you should be able to sell it for more. Please call me at 616 308 2631, or email me at kroelofs@grar.com.

Thanks!!

Karl Roelofs