Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Atul Khandel…, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

What should I buy, SFH in Pleasanton, CA or a TH in Windemere/GaleRanch, San Ramon, CA?

Asked by Atul Khandelwal, San Ramon, CA Sat Apr 2, 2011

I have two options: First a SFH in Pleasanton, CA (3/2) and Second a TH in Gale Ranch, San Ramon CA. Not sure which one to buy? Please advise.

Answers

6
SFRs have better resale value but what other variable are there? schools? transportation? You will need to list the pros and cons for both properties to see what meets your needs best
Hi Atul,
I tend to agree with Rama, the majority of clients that I am currently assisting prefer "newer" over "bigger". As others have also mentioned, there are limitations with HOA properties and generally resale is better with single family homes. However, in this market many of the rules of yesterday do not apply, so you should do what you think is in the best interest of your immediate needs. This is your home and you will need for it to be your sanctuary.
Good luck to you,
Suzanne Looker
It really depends on where you commute to and from to go to work and other things important to you.

Two different communities. Gale Ranch and Widermere are newer homes higher taxex. Nice area. Both are very close together, in a town house very little land ,unles you buy a single family home. Pleasanton is located more conveniently to many aminities. Pleasanton is right on 680/580, has BART and great schools, and downtown. Windermrre and Gale Ranch has good schools too. Pleasnton is much closer to Silicon Valley if you commute there. Specially if you live on the 680 part of it. There fore, both are nice, it really depends on what you are looking for. Pleasanton is higher prices because of all what I have mentioned before. Gale Ranch and Windermere are more affordable. If you need help you can reach me at 925-216-3006.

Heba Rayan
COLDWELL BANKER
Tel.: 925-216-3006
Fax.: 925-208-2933
Email: heba@calfineliving.com
Department of Real Estate
DRE License # 01722870
Hello Atul,

I recommend you consider lifestyle and commute differences. When you purchase a single family home, you have a yard...to enjoy and to maintain. Do you like to have large gatherings, cookouts, where guests spill out on to the lawn? If so, townhome living is not for you.

Townhome HOA fees include exterior maintenance..for a price! They paint the front door on their paint schedule, but what if you would like for it to be a different color? Not happening. While some of the newer single family homes in Pleasanton have HOA with architectufal committees, most of the housing is older with no HOA.

Interestingly, there will soon be no more new townhomes built in Windemere/Gale Ranch. Windemere is built out and Abbingdon in Gale Ranch is almost sold out. They have a current release and will release 1 more building and that's it. I have been told that Shapell will build no more townhome communities in Gale Ranch.

One more thing. Most families today are looking for a bedroom and bath on the main floor (without steps). Impossible to find that in a 3-bedroom townhome in Windemere.

Also, you will pay higher real estate taxes in Windemere, but that is merely the price you have to pay in order to live in that beautiful community with awesome schools and great parks!

Kindest Regards,
Vickie Nagy
Atul
Look where the demographics is moving, that is the answer to your question. If you are looking to make capital gains in the future on your investment, then Windemere, Gale Ranch will be your best bet. That is where people are moving for newer homes, education and community. Pleasanton is a great place to live in, has held its values reasonably well and is closer to the freeway for the commute. But knowing and understanding the movement of people into the valley, almost all my clients buy in windemere or gale ranch. They all want the "new home" feel which pleasanton does not offer, unless you go to the higher price point.
Web Reference: http://www.RamaMehra.com
Hello Atul,
You have two very different communities that you are looking at, and two very different types of living spaces.
I would ask you , what is the most important aspect of your move? Both areas offer great attributes .

Pleasanton is a larger city, and a single famity home usually fairs better when it comes to resale value and rental opportunity.
Gale Ranch , has the newer developments, great schools, but you are situated back in the valley. All of those Townnhomes have high HOAs, and there have been many Short Sales and REO's which is a sign of
decreasing value.
I would need to know more about what is really driving your move, to give you the best guidance. I would be happy to help you further if you need a Strong Buyer's Agent that services those areas.

Sincerely
Julia Murtagh
"Bringing Integrity To Your Front Door:
925-997-2411
Alain Pinel Realtors
http://www.JuliaHelpsDistressedSellers.com
Web Reference: http://www.JuliaMurtagh.com