Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Beccaj, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

What should I be aware of when I walk through a house?

Asked by Beccaj, Chicago, IL Wed Mar 13, 2013

Answers

9
Beccaj,

Buyers should have a fairly clear appreciation for their personal search. This should include both what they want in their future home as well as what the less favorable characteristic would be. Having this information committed to writing in list form may be helpful.

Most buyers don't make their choice to purchase on their first visit to a home and often take 2-3 additional visits. The reality of taking this approach is that each time you return to the property one tends to notice different things, features, flaws, etc.

My best advice on making your initial visit it to try to keep it basic....is this a place that I can see myself and my family living comfortably and happily?

Best wishes,

Beccaj,

See the article I wrote for my Trulia a blog. The link is attached. Trulia also asked all Borkers in Chicago the same questions about two months ago and Trulia Chicago rated my answer as the best answer.

I hope it is helpful
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 13, 2013
Use your 5 senses?

Smell? - gas, moisture, other aromas

Sight? - water stains, cracks in walls, ceilings, floors

Sound? - furnace/ac/bathroom vents, etc - how do they sound when turned on?

Touch? - are surfaces abnormally hot or cold?

Taste? - how does the milk taste in the non functioning fridge? ;-)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 13, 2013
Everthing you can see! Your question suggests to me that you really should work with a good, experienced Chicago Realtor as your Buyers Agent to assist you, not only will that agent find you the
right property for your needs and in your price range and arrange the showings, but that Realtor will
do so much more for you to protect your interests throughout the entire buying process! The services of
a buyers Agent are free to you, all that is required from you is to be loyal to one Realtor, or one Realtor's team and to commit to only one Realtor, so that that buyers agent can also fully commit to you.

Buyers Agents for properties listed on the multiple listing service with another brokerage are paid out of
the proceeds by the seller's side. Do not do this on your own.

Make also sure to get pre-approved for the loan by a reputable local lender, your Buyers Agent can assist you in finding a good lender for your financial needs. If you like more information let me know,
I also have great partner agents very familiar with the city, if you let me know what areas and price
range, and size of home you are interested in, I will gladly send you a good recommendation.

By the way remember once you have written an offer, and with the help of your buyers agent negotiated
the terms, you will have hopefully hired a real estate attorney to review the contract, during that period of time usually 7 bus days, you the buyer will have a chance to have an inspection done on the property, you have to pay for that, but it will not only get you well acquainted with your new home, while walking through it with the inspector, but you will also find out if there are major problems or only small
expected items ...... which is a protection for the buyers....

Any additional question feel free to get back to me.... and I gladly provide you with more details
about the buying process.
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 13, 2013
WOW, thanks :)
Flag Mon Mar 18, 2013
Everything! Layout is going to be huge since this is something that typically can not be changed or is very expensive to do. Dont get stuck on finishes or paint these are easily changeable and finishes change constantly. Keep your senses open as well. If your agent is doing their job they should be pointing out things that could concern you in the future,like electrical or plumbing issues.
Probably the missing floorboards.

And maybe the squatter living behind that one locked door in the basement.
Thank you Beccaj. Your recognition means a lot.

Best wishes,

Layout, condition, overall feel. Make sure everything seems like its in order and it feels right to you.
When you're out looking for a house to purchase you should pay attention to the layout and flow of the home. Does it have enough size/space for your needs both inside and out. If you're able to, look past the the finishes as they can be changed down the road. Your real estate agent should be looking for defects that are noticeable to the human eye (signs of water damage, abnormal wear and tear, potential issues with mechanicals or appliances).