Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Sonia, Renter in San Jose, CA

What services do Austin realtors provide?

Asked by Sonia, San Jose, CA Mon Aug 13, 2012

We are moving to Austin from out of state and trying to wade through all of the wonderful Austin neighborhoods, to see which one will best fit our needs and our budget. The couple of realtors that I have met at open houses and that have contacted me through email seem to expect me to find the neighborhood and house all on my own. What level of service can I expect from Austin area realtors? The last time I house hunted in a different city (much larger than Austin), our realtor went our of her way to help us find the perfect neighborhood, driving us around and showing us different parts of town and neighborhoods and then finally helping us find the perfect house for us. What level of service level can I expect in Austin in my home buying experience?

Answers

16
Hello, I'm a full service agent and specialize in relocation, so I am very familiar with your needs. Take a look at my website (no forced registration) and feel free to contact me at your leisure. I'm happy to sit down and have coffee and spend the time necessary to find the right home and the right neighborhood.

Israel Gutierrez
Broker Associate/Realtor®, Green
512-299-3809 M
512-600-3260 F
http://www.austinhomeshop.com
http://www.facebook.com/austinhomeshop
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 13, 2012
Dear TexasGirl,
If I were relocating to Austin I would contact a few local Realtors and see who you feel comfortable with and who "connects" with you. Also out of town Realtors are not going to have access the the local MLS unless they are paying members. Which means you will have delays getting information/or showings for the homes that interest you. Because they will not have direct access to the MLS information and will have to wait on responses from the local Listing Agents.
I have been in Austin since 1989 and know most of the areas very well. Its pretty normal to expect to get a mini tour of the city. However since Austin has expanded so much in the last ten years, I would suggest having a plan of 5-6 neighborhoods or areas that appeal to you. Otherwise your Realtor could spend a week just driving you around neighborhoods instead of being inside houses that might be your next home.

I wish you the best on your relocation and home purchase!

Betina

Betina Foreman, Realtor-C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
512.771.6318
TexasGirl,
Your instincts are on target. A Realtor that expects you to follow a map on your own isn't providing the right service.
Of course, I'd be happy to discuss your needs and help you map out a sucessful move.
Bill Austin ~ 512-709-6343
As with any "service" provider, the level of service offered will differ greatly. As you can see, many agents will gladly spend their day driving around looking at neighborhoods with you and others will see this as being a little too "needy" or "time consuming." Much of the time it will depend on how many clients the agent has at the time, the price point of the home.and how badly the agent needs the income.

There is no single right answer. You will simply have to set your expectations and then hire the agent who can meet them, but I'm confident you won't have a hard time finding an agent to meet your expectations as you've defined them above.
Awesome and Spot on Response!
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
TexasGirl, I think what you're looking for is exactly the type of service that I provide my clients. I would be happy to discuss what you're looking for, make sure you are in a position to buy by getting you preapproved(unless you are paying cash), and then taking you around in the neighborhoods that fit your criteria and pointing out the pluses and minuses. Once you decide on a specific neighborhood or two, then we can look at homes and find just the right home that fits your needs. Feel free to click on my photo to review my credentials and client testimonials, and contact me if you have not yet signed up with a specific realtor through a buyer's representation agreement. Besides giving full-service to my clients, I have a great team of lenders, inspectors, etc. will assist us to throughout the buying process. I happen to be one of the top rated Realtors in Austin, am a Master Instructor with the #1 real estate company in Austin, Keller Williams Realty, and I do not charge anything for my extensive services. Please contact me if you would like to discuss my assistance. Thanks, Joe Jarusinsky, Keller Williams Realty, 512-261-4415
Your expectations are normal. I relocated myself just four years ago. I consider myself having a good sense of direction but Austin is a beast! :) Having a plan wherein you can tour and the REALTOR drive you would be your best bet. You can communicate and feel more relaxed and enjoy your experience. Take a moment and call one or two of us and allow us to be more detailed in what we can do for you. Let's take the stress out of the equation.

Laura McMillan
AVALAR AUSTIN
ABR, ASP, CLHMS, CRS, ePRO, GRI, SRS
laura@avalaraustin.com
http://www.avalaraustin.com
http://www.austintexasrealestate.me
512.903.5268
Hi. Thank you to everyone who has responded to my question. I'd like to clarify what I am actually looking for (based on my prior experience in Houston). One realtor I contacted here in Austin sent me very detailed turn by turn directions for neighborhoods for me to drive around and look at myself. I am not familiar with Austin and its streets, and I feel I would be concentrating on the street names and not have a chance to see the neighborhoods. Based on my past experience in Houston, I thought that most realtors would actually drive around with me (their car or mine) to look at some neighborhoods/parts of town, so that I might benefit from their expertise, as I am looking at the neighborhoods. I have already been here a week on my house hunting trip, and really need to narrow down my neighborhood choices. Is this a reasonable expectation?
Having a Realtor that is experienced in the car with you while you look at neighborhoods is the best way to get a "feel" for different areas. I prefer to ride with my clients, especially if they are relocating from another city, but it's always at their discretion. http://www.austinhomeshop.com
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
It should be noted that although the Austin Board of REALTORS shows less than 10,000 agents, there are MORE than 10,000 working agents in the area. There is more than one Board of REALTORS (Williamson County for example) and some do not participate as REALTORS at all but instead choose not to pay the fees we incur to be the best we can be and be informed and be involved. They choose to be real estate agents. There is a difference.

Laura McMillan
AVALAR AUSTIN
ABR, ASP, CLHMS, CRS, ePRO, GRI, SRS
laura@avalaraustin.com
http://www.avalaraustin.com
http://www.austintexasrealestate.me
512.903.5268
Dear TexasGirl,
While all Realtors should provide excellent service, they are people just like anyone else. So there are some who go the extra mile and some who do the bare minimum. While some have said there are over 10000 Austin Realtors, that is not accurate. As of today there are 8604 licensed Realtors in Austin. This number goes up or down slightly depending upon the condition of the local market. Many people get into real estate thinking they will make a quick buck, then once in the business realize its far more work than they thought it would be.

I wish you the best on your home search and relocation. If I may be of further assistance please let me know. Welcome back home to Texas!

Betina

Betina Foreman- Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
When you hire an agent to help you find a home - you should expect personalized service and someone experienced in relocations. I always tell my clients - you have to be sold on the area or neighborhood first and then find a home. There are many factors involved, Distance to work, neighborhood schools, shopping, churches, price range, amenities . . . . . etc.
Find a realtor that knows all of the information you need for your move!
You should be getting the same service anywhere you go: REALTORS should all practice the same code of ethics set forth by the National Association of REALTORS. It sounds like you had contact with agents that weren't performing to their fullest potential. If you want agent that will work hard for you - and work with someone where real estate is their career - and not just a part time job, then call me. I'll be happy to help and negotiate the best deal for you!

Christi Baylor
Real Estate Broker
UP Realty
512.788.3698
cbaylor@uprealtygroup.com
Dear TexasGirl,

Like Laura mentioned below there are over 10K Realtors in this town, and of that percentage that actually make money (in sales) I would say probably only 2% are truly successful. Now on the search side I think what they should have said is that it really is an team effort on a search....Sometimes I find the perfect house, sometimes you see something that hits your eye and you bring it to me....But that is only the beginning...A really good Realtor should be there with you throughout the Research Process, Be able to drop what they are doing (within reason) and go show you ASAP, be Present at the Inspection Period (yes present through the entire day), Handle all Negations-And yes that means getting their hands dirty and making a deal work for you, working together with your Lender if applicable, staying on top of closing to ensure it is closed on time (not usually your fault), more like no one likes to do their job unless you ride them like a Cowboy on a wild horse, and finally be at the closing table...Keep searching until you find someone like this and you should have a great buying experience.

Shannon
Shannon Black-Hartzell
Market Point Realty Services
Realtor ® 601576

C: 512.585.5417
F: 512.331.7772
O: 512.331.7775
E: shannon_b30@yahoo.com

“My clients drive me, not my commission, and their happiness is my passion".

Search 1000's of Homes Instantly!
http://www.FindAustinForeclosures.com
There are about 10,000 active agents in the Austin area. And they will provide different levels depending upon their dedication to the field. I've had clients leave REALTORS who were friends because of what you described - go find the home and let me know when you do, THEN I'll write up a contract. That's not service!

You should expect to be treated as if you were the only client we have. Or maybe I should say, I want to treat clients as I expect to be treated. If I am doing my job, I should be able to provide you answers to all your questions whether it be neighborhood, lending or moving questions. I need to be your go to person as it is one of the biggest decisions you will ever make. For you to entrust may take a time or two to meet the right fit. Personalities need to be well balanced. There are some wonderful agents who would make this professional proud.

For me I continue my education to learn as much as possible about negotiations, multiple offers, specifically representing the buyer or seller, internet ins and outs, working with clients with specific needs, et cetera. Allow me the opportunity to visit with you and see what it's like to see Austin through the eyes of an agent who's proud to show it off.

Here's a referral from July 21: "I can't thank you enough for your time and knowledge. Thanks to you, we are going to relocate by the end of this year. You had a huge influence on our decision." ~ Michael S.

I am available 24/7 via phone, email or text. I look forward to hearing from you!

Laura McMillan
AVALAR AUSTIN
ABR, ASP, CLHMS, CRS, ePRO, GRI, SRS
laura@avalaraustin.com
http://www.avalaraustin.com
http://www.austintexasrealestate.me
512.903.5268
I would be happy to provide the services you referenced. There are many wonderful neighborhoods from master planned communities with all the amenities to pocket neighborhoods with charming homes and tree lined streets.

In addition, I can help facilitate all the negotiations, inspections, and lender conditions. Please feel free to contact me anytime for a no obligation consultation.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
If you are looking in the North Austin or Round Rock/Cedar Park area I will be glad to assist you with all of the details including neighborhoods and schools and etc. You can expect a very high level of service from me.
WITH ANY REALTOR should provide you same service you referenced when comparing an Austin agent to other Realtor. Sorry you are having problems !! If you continue have issues notify me happy to provide a referral .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas