Home Buying in Pasadena>Question Details

bavajose, Home Owner in Pasadena, CA

What's the sale price difference for a house with 1 car garage vs just carpot?

Asked by bavajose, Pasadena, CA Tue Feb 19, 2013

The city tells me, after 3 years of being a home owner, that my house should have a carpot instead of the 1 car detached garage I already have in place, the city tells me I cannot have a garage according to city regulations. Why the garage is there and no one saw it before is a difference matter, but I would like feedback on how much could the price drop for a property if I had bought it with a carpot instead of a garage. I know prices vary depending on the neighborhood and comparable properties, but any help is appreciated! thanks!

Answers

3
esq24u’s answer
Typically a garage can increase the valuation by approximately 15-25K depending on where you live. If I understood your concern about a carport being a better option than a garage, nothing could be further from the truth. Ask any insurance agent or Realtor about this.

To me, as an investor, I w/never consider a home w/o one as resale becomes harder when reaching out to most buyers that you would want one. Get your financial matters in order, then contact a Realtor with a list of the things you want and need, and of course, the price and taxes.

Remember, a three bedroom will sell faster than a two bedroom, and a one bedroom would be out of the question unless you are seeking a co-op, which I would never recommend.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 6, 2013
Hi, Just saw this questions. That is odd that they just came up to you to say something. Usually these things are triggered by an escrow or changing of tenants. I would have an issue with the city occupancy that you would have had in your escrow three years ago. That honestly should have come up then. A carport for two cars and a one car garage comparison..in my opinion it is better to have the two parking spaces. But it really is a matter of opinion, some people would prefer the enclosed storage. Hope this helps and good luck!!!
I would say about $10k, here in MA