Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Glenn Brauns…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

What's the best lake in a North Georgia to purchase a second home for weekend recreational jaunts?

Asked by Glenn Braunstein, Atlanta, GA Tue Nov 27, 2012

We're looking to buy a lake house in North Georgia. Primary purpose would be for boating (tubing/skiing/etc), swimming, hiking, and just general weekend relaxing getaways. We're an active family of 4 (including 2 young girls) but love our quiet, tranquil nights as well. Less than a 2-2.5 hour drive from Atlanta would be ideal.

Considering all the current water level issues I'm heading about in the area, what are the best lakes to be looking at right now?

Lake Sinclair, Ga. has the cleanest water in the Southeast. It also has beautiful lots and reasonable priced homes . You can buy a nice home for for 300K and up. That same home in north Ga. would be 700K and up. It also has the latest state of the art fiber optic system with tv, internet, and phone. The tv is wireless and internet speeds are up to 1G up and down. This is the only lake that has this new system.
Very nice and clean
I came across this post when looking for info on GA lakes. Glenn - we are on the lookout for a lake front vacation home as well. Just curious to know if you ended up purchasing aroperty, and if so, can you please share info on where you ended up buying and how you like it so far?

Dee - we did not [YET] purchase one. We're on the eternal hunt without a high priority...meaning that if a deal slips our way, we could jump on it...but have just struggled with the time making it an active search. Right now...I actually have my eyes on Lanier for its proximity and convenience to Atlanta.
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014
Hey Glenn...since no one else has mentioned it yet, check out Lake Arrowhead in Waleska, a 540 acre lake in a gated community about 45 miles north of Atlanta. Call my friend Tim King at the sales office for info at 770-720-2700....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
Glenn....There are a number of choices that will give you the tranquil and prisitine environment you guys are looking....you have Oconee to the east of Atlanta, Lanier,Hartwell, and Burton to the northeast, Allatoona and Blueridge to the nothwest,,,and many many more surrounding Atlanta in all directions....Lake level changes are generally moderate enough throughout the year to ski and tube unless we hit drought conditions during the summer, then deep water areas will only fit the bill. Alot of your decision will be determined by the type of ownership possibilities for each lake and the surrounding landscape that will give you the relaxation you desire.
I would be happy to sit down and discuss with you at your leisure.

Chuck Green, Realtor
Chattahoochee North
Lake Hartwell would be my choice. I have lived in Atlanta most of my life and the two lakes that I am most familiar with are Lake Lanier and Allatoona. Lake Lanier and Lake Allatoona tend to be way over crowded and water levels usually very low due the release of water downstream. Lake Hartwell typically is around full pool and there are many great lots and coves to live on.
lake levels a problem
Flag Wed Jun 3, 2015
There are several Lakes in the North Georgia area, such as, Allatonna, Lanier, Hartwell, and others.
I would like the opportunity and pleasure helping You and Your Family find your Lake House. Please give me a call when you are ready at 404-843-2500!
Lake Weiss is another alternative. It's a large lake (over 30,000 acres) just across the state line in Alabama, about 40 minutes outside of Rome. Home prices are significantly less than Lanier or Altoona. I've been going to Lake Weiss about 6-8 times per year for the last 3 years and love it.
There are several Beautiful Lakes in the North Georgia area, such as, Allatoona, Hartwell, Lanier and others. I would like the opportunity and pleasure to work with You and Your Family in finding your special Lake House. Please give me a call at the Office at 404-843-2500. Joseph Allen.
I have a lot for sale overlooking Carters lake with a beautiful mountain views as the back drop. You could build your perfect place. The front (street side) faces north and is about 300 yards from Carters Lake an the back of the lot is a little stream. The lot side is approximatly and acre. We have reduced the price to $18,000.00.

It is approximalty 65 miles from I75 & 285.

Call me if you are interested @ 404.493.2288.
I personally have a property on Lake Blue Ridge, depending on where you live in Atlanta you are about 1 1/2 hours away. I sell the area and would be glad to send you some information as well as take you to some of the homes that might peak your interest. Lake Blue Ridge is a TVA lake, and the water does go down in the winter, but it is probably the best family lake I have ever owned on. Not alot of traffic on the lake, quiet serene sunsets, and very safe boating. There are also plenty of hiking trails around the lake as well as a town that is a village of unique shops...I would love to talk to you about the area, feel free to call me at 678 697 4984 cell..
Kathy Rice
Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby's International Realty
In general, the lakes that experience extreme fluctuations in water level are those owned by the Army Corp of Engineers, and the most stable lakes are those owned by Georgia Power. Private lakes are anyone's guess. Your Realtor should be able to tell you who the lake owner is.

Dave Herren
Best Atlanta Properties
I guess that would all be a matter of personal perspective and my personal favorite is Lake Burton. The scenery there is absolutely breathtaking! However, there are plenty to choose from including Lake Lanier, Lake Allatoona, Lake Hartwell, Carters Lake, and the list keeps going. I would love to help you with your search. Even if it is an area that I'm not familiar with, I will be more than happy to refer you to a great agent who is.
Sherry Bailey
Keller Williams Realty First Atlanta