Home Buying in Rockledge>Question Details

kathleenabgp…, Other/Just Looking in Rockledge, PA

What right do you have listing our home's information it is not for sale- that is an invasion of privacy!?

Asked by kathleenabgpartners, Rockledge, PA Sat Aug 18, 2012

Answers

4
If the information appears on a public web site--let's say the information (which might involve when you bought your home, how much you paid, what its tax assessment is) is on your local tax assessor's website--then by definition the information is not private. It's public. And that applies whether or not your home is for sale.

Further, anything that your agent may have listed on your local MLS can be picked up on Trulia or elsewhere (with proper permissions from the MLS, of course).

Now, if it's private information, such as your social security number or driver's license number, that's not permitted.

And if there's an inaccuracy--sometimes a property that isn't for sale gets listed as being for sale--then you certainly have the right to ask that the information be corrected.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Unfortanately most information they post is from public sources such as your tax card, assessor or former MLS listings. It is public information that anyone can get by searching your assessors office or old mls. If there is a vilation, click down on teh right and contact Trilas customer service, they may not see your question/comment posted here
Kathleen
Wholeheartedly I agree with you. Trulia COULD be more selective regarding what sources are allowed to place "REAL ESTATE FOR SALE" ads on this website. Trulia chooses to allow organizations with a chronic reputation for false, incorrect and misleading ads to be displayed. Realty Trac is the worst offender.

The HOMES FOR SALE you see on Trulia are RARELY entered by the listing real estate agent. These homes for sale are fed to Truiia by other aggregate sources. In many cases the listing received by Truilia is automatically attached to a real estate professional who has an existing account on Trulia. Many, Many, Many homes for sale are not associated with an agent you can contact.

The mere fact that you are on Trulia to see the false information about your home is validation of why so many remain silent about this situation. If the public IS coming to an aggregate website, regardless of it's integrity, then it is a good place to hope to gain a business advantage.

As a home owner and consumer, you should rightfully be enraged regarding such behavior by aggregate websites. Unfortunately, it is not an augment you can win. There are too many aggregate websites and it is unlikely your pockets are deep enough.

However, you can be the oracle to the public that such websites, saturated with false, misleading, incorrect, outdated data is for entertainment purposes only. I know I don't base my life decisions on what I see on "Celebrity Apprentice" neither should anyone make real estate decisions based on what is displayed on aggregate websites.

I wish you the greatest success in cleaning up this intergalactic mess.
Kathleen, Trulia does not list homes for sale, only Realtors can do that and only after having obtained a written contract with the homeowner to do so. I do not know your personal situation, however, the only other thing I can think of is perhaps this was done by a web based business that re-publishes information found in the public domain, in which case, it is not legally considered an invasion of privacy because it's public knowledge. And, the home is not listed 'for sale' per se, it's simply a republishing of data found in public records.

I am very sorry if you felt your right to privacy was violated and I wish you all the best.