Home Buying in Arvada>Question Details

James.Sandov…, Home Buyer in Arvada, CO

What recourse do I have if my nieghbor dog poop odor affects my enjoyment of my backyard? I am having a house built in the Whisper Creek area.

Asked by James.Sandoval, Arvada, CO Mon Feb 18, 2013

Answers

4
James,

I wouldn't like to have that problem either. There should be a right to peaceful enjoyment of your home without noise, smell or other infringement of a healthy environment. Do get a legal opinion now so you don't have to deal with this after you move in.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Hi James,

My husband and I just moved into a new home in Whisper Creek so I'm familiar with the development.

It sounds like your home is still under construction. I wouldn't do anything until you actually move in. Do they just not pick up after their dog or leave the poop for days on end? If the problem still persists after you move in, I'd get to know your new neighbors and then kindly and objectively talk with them about it and possibly bring them to your backyard so they can experience the odor. Perhaps they are not aware of how it affects you. You may also want to talk to the neighbors on the other sides of them to see if they experience the odor. After that you could try contacting the homeowner's association to see if they have any suggestions.

Deb Albrandt
Starbuck Realty Group
Probably none.

As my colleague, Mario Lozano points out - only an attorney can advise you of your legal recourse, but as a practical matter - if you neighbor is not violating any codes or ordinances by having dogs, then the neighbors basically have to deal with it.
Unfortunately I would say that you are seeking legal advice. I would contact an attorney.