Gloria Jean…, Real Estate Pro in Atlanta, GA

What qualities are you looking for in your buyer's agent?

Asked by Gloria Jean Hecking & Jim Squire, Atlanta, GA Mon Aug 6, 2012

Wouldn't it be nice if agents refrained from answering questions that are clearly directed at the CONSUMER?

@ Fred - no one asked why "it pays to work" with an agent..........consumers are being asked what qualities THEY are looking for

@ Beppy - the poster is an AGENT - your offer to be her buyer's agent was sweet but totally irrelevant....she doesn't need an agent, she IS one..........
We need to read and understand what is being asked on these forums !

So - I will add one trait I think a buyer's agent...or any agent.... should possess..............highly defined listening and comprehension skills
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 12, 2012
Here are reasons why it pays to work with a real estate agent...
1.You’ll have an expert to guide you through the process. Buying or selling a home usually requires disclosure forms, inspection reports, mortgage documents, insurance policies, deeds, and multi-page settlement statements. A knowledgeable expert will help you prepare the best deal, and avoid delays or costly mistakes.

2.Get objective information and opinions. Real estate agents can provide local community information on utilities, zoning, schools, and more. They’ll also be able to provide objective information about each property. A professional will be able to help you answer these two important questions: Will the property provide the environment I want for a home or investment? Second, will the property have resale value when I am ready to sell?

3.Find the best property out there. Sometimes the property you are seeking is available but not actively advertised in the market, and it will take some investigation by your agent to find all available properties.

4.Benefit from their negotiating experience. There are many negotiating factors, including but not limited to price, financing, terms, date of possession, and inclusion or exclusion of repairs, furnishings, or equipment. In addition, the purchase agreement should provide a period of time for you to complete appropriate inspections and investigations of the property before you are bound to complete the purchase. Your agent can advise you as to which investigations and inspections are recommended or required.

5.Real estate has its own language. If you don’t know a CMA from a PUD, you can understand why it’s important to work with a professional who is immersed in the industry and knows the real estate language.

6.Real estate agents have done it before. Most people buy and sell only a few homes in a lifetime, usually with quite a few years in between each purchase. And even if you’ve done it before, laws and regulations change. Real estate agents, on the other hand, handle hundreds of real estate transactions over the course of their career. Having an expert on yo5r side is critical.

7.Buying and selling is emotional. A home often symbolizes family, rest, and security — it’s not just four walls and a roof. Because of this, home buying and selling can be an emotional undertaking. And for most people, a home is the biggest purchase they’ll ever make. Having a concerned, but objective, third party helps you stay focused on both the emotional and financial issues most important to you.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2012
Blow qualities are the must in any buyer agent :
Proper knowledge of real estate market
Listening Skills
Quick responser
Thanks for teeing this up, Gloria.

Off the top of my head, here's a simple list of 5 qualities for a great buyer's agent:

1. fiduciary responsibility

2. ability to read, write, listen, speak and communicate across multiple media platforms with clarity, aplomb and a sense of presence

3. circumspect and conservative advice

4. vivid street knowledge

5. seasoned yet delicate negotiation skills
Hello Ms. Hecking-Squire, thank you for your inquiry re: a buyer's agent. I am a buyer's agent and would be honored to help you in your search for a new home. I represent buyers and sellers thruout the metro Atlanta area. A buyer's agent should:

1) treat the buyer as his/her top priority
2) be a great listener and a strong as well as timely communicator
3) be experienced, knowledgeable about the market
4) have strong negotiating skills and be a problem solver
5) open, honest and have high standards of integrity

By asking you just a few questions, I can start you in the right direction for your home search.

Please contact me at the email or phone number below, if you are interested in working together.

I look forward to your reply and to helping you!

Again, Thank You.

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton
Keller Williams
C/404 234 9418