Home Buying in Kiawah Island>Question Details

gabrielle, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

What public schools do the kids on Kiawah go to, and are they good?

Asked by gabrielle, Austin, TX Wed Jan 2, 2013

Ron Chamberlain’s answer
Gabrielle, Charleston County public school system, and specifically St Johns High School, Haut Gap Middle School, and Mt Zion Elementary. There is also a private school, Charleston Collegiate on Johns Island. As far as being good you need to go to a website for school ratings to make that determination.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
Checked both Haut Gap Middle and St. Johns High on Great schools website; both are underperforming with fair ratings and test scores that are worse than our schools in New Orleans! I am assuming if you are buying a million dollar home (or winning one from HGTV) you would be wise to find a private school for your kids!
Good morning, Gabrielle!

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide you info about Kiawah Island public schools!

Kiawah Island is in the Charleston County School District and is zoned for the following schools...Mount Zion Elementary, Haut Gap Middle School, and St. John's High School. I would love to provide you additional info via their websites if that would be helpful to you so that you can see their annual report card and their report on test scores. Please let me know if that is something that you would like to have...no obligation, of course!

Have a fantastic day!

Cheryll Woods-Flowers, Keller Williams
When I was looking online, I saw Haut Gap, but it was being referred to as a magnet... is there a different middle school for the non-magnet? Also, The St. Johns charter/high school is getting very poor ratings online, does that mean most of the wealthier people are supporting the private schools in the high school years and the public school is undesirable? or are the online people just upset cause their kid got a bad grade so they are giving the school low ratings un-deserved?
Many parents who live on Kiawah, Seabrook, and the Johns Island Area closest to the 2 aforementioned areas do send their kids to either
Charleston Collegiate or Porter Gaud. There may be others. Haut Gap is the only Charleston County middle school on Johns Island. I'd be surprised if the ratings had anything to do with upset parents. I believe it has to do with test scores, drop out rates, etc....empirical data is probably the method for the scores.
Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013