Home Buying in Monterey Park>Question Details

z, Both Buyer and Seller in California City, CA

What popular amenities/features do most families for? do they prefer a bigger yard or is that more of a maintenance hassle than a preference?

Asked by z, California City, CA Mon Jun 4, 2012

Answers

4
Great question! We will definitely have to narrow down the locations, budgets and lifestyle.

For example, as actively working in San Gabriel Valley, most of my buyers who are in their 30-50's with kids, budget from 500-800k - school district is usually their primary concern and they do prefer a bigger yard for the kids to play, they will also want an functional/open kitchen and school district is important. Most of them are open to remodeling so they are not picky with amenities.

For the buyers who are young professional or retirees, then they do want a nice remodeled home with nice kitchen, attached garages, convenient location and yard usually is not a concern.

I'll be happy to do a more in depth analysis if you can provide more details. Thanks.
Web Reference: http://www.amberyu.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
This is a hard one to generalize. Some families want a yard for their kids, others want something smaller and more maintenance free. I think though that if the kids are school age, a yard is a good thing. If the kids are small, a pool is often a negative because there are safety hazards.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
If you are talking about the lower half of the Market; most of those buyers are looking for a turn-key house; they are fully invested by the time they put the down payment and closing and moving costs.
They don't have money left over for frivolties such as a new stove or refrigerator, much less a kitchen re-do.

If you are talking about the upper half; I would say that the Kitchen would be number one: In the last few years, we have seen terrific advances in appliances, solid surfaces and amenities.

Bathrooms would be next.
And yes, since we do so much living in the back yard, they want a nice living/entertaining area.

A new A/C has become one of the most important features, not only because the cooling is so much better, but the new units are about 150-200% more ecconomical.

Solar would be next on the list.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
I'd think that these days, most kids would play at the park or in the house (w/all the video games they have available nowadays)... perhaps space for basketball... and ya... hard to generalize. I know personally, i'd prefer a smaller yard and let the kids go to the park or friends' homes instead.
Flag Mon Jun 4, 2012
It really depends on the type of buyer, older folks perhaps whose children have sinced moved on often prefer low to no maintance while families prefer large lots and more lawn.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com