Home Buying in Dexter>Question Details

Roslyn, Home Buyer in Dexter, MI

What organizations are there to help abused women get motgages for homes?

Asked by Roslyn, Dexter, MI Sat May 15, 2010

My husband of 20 years has found a "new sweetie." I am 60, and somewhat handicapped. Have never worked. I will have a lump sum as part of the settlement, but realtors don't seem to want to talk to me. Some downright rude. Is there an organization that helps women like me? I need to buy a house. No apts. I have parrots and a couple dogs...They are the love of my life.

Answers

6
Bob,
I am not in any way, shape or form an expert on mortgages or financing.
I have always understood a steady income to be an important part of qualifying for a mortgage.
A lump sum may be good for a downpayment. But Roslyn was specifically asking about a mortgage.

If there is a way to get a mortgage without steady income, please educate me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 15, 2010
Contact me at 734 329-4128, danmalaski@realestateone.com or visit my web at ddanmalaski.realestateone.com and I'll help you find a home
Hi Roslyn,

Lynn is right. Your will either need to pay cash or establish credit and qualify for a loan. Renting a house would be a good way to keep your pets happy and establish payment history. A lender will want that. Also, if you don’t have any, open up a credit card and pay it off each month. With the market the way it is, there is no real rush to buy. Definitely find a REALTOR and loan agent that will treat you right. Try to get a referral from a friend.

The most important thing is for Roslyn to take care of Roslyn! Find a place and figure out what would be best for you in the short and long term. Find a part time job that you can handle. This will serve you in multiple ways. Social, confidence and Financial. Below are some links to websites. The USAToday article speaks directly to your question. The others are regarding support groups on several fronts. I wish you the best.

http://www.usatoday.com/.../2006-02-14-women-houses-usat_x.htm

http://www.epodunk.com

http://www.divorcepeers.com/support-groups.htm
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 15, 2010
good afternoon roslyn...i have done mortgages both high and low risk in michigan for over fifteen years...please call me so we can discuss your situation and get you out shopping for a new home...best regards...
bob mcclure-
first preferred mortgage-
southfield, michigan..
Sorry to read about your situation.

You need either pay cash for a home OR qualify for a mortgage. Then a Realtor can assist you. Forget about your past and move forward.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Roslyn,

I am truly sorry to hear about your situation.
I am also sorry to hear about rude agents. Inexcusable.

In order to get a mortgage, you have to have some steady form of income. I do not know the nature of your handicap and I do not mean to overstep any boundaries but there are plenty of jobs you can do from home.

My suggestion would be to rent for a while(I understand how difficult that may be with your pets. Maybe you can find someone who loves animals who is willing to share a house with you), look for a job, any job that provides regular income (keep an open mind because there are very few people who are totally incapable of earning money), continue to save and reassess your situation in a couple of years.

There really is no easier way to do achieve your goal of home ownership. I wish I could say there was, but I really don't think there is.
60 is young enough to begin a new life, YOUR new life with plenty left to achieve what you wish and to enjoy it.

I wish you the best.