Home Buying in Wynnefield>Question Details

David Shaffer, Real Estate Pro in Cincinnati, OH

What neighborhoods should I look in Philadelphia for historic homes, possibly near University of Penn?

Asked by David Shaffer, Cincinnati, OH Sun Jan 16, 2011

I may be moving from Cincinnati to work at the Univ. of Penn and would like to find a diverse community of older historic homes in an area that is holding it's property values

Answers

4
Bruce Lang’s answer
Dear David

To be near upon and have historic choices is easy. The main question is price range. Univ city in the Sade alexander school catchment has held it's value. The area is ripe with victorians and queen annes. For a single home 2200-3000 sq ft you can expect to spend 400k to 650k depending on state of renovations
Second, the next neighborhood is filter sq and rittenhouse sq. Prices 600k and up. Most are historic, some are not. Just south of there is graduate hospital
I live in washington sq west, just a little further west and this area is also filled with historic homes. There are also historic renovated buildings as well. In univ city there is garden court condos, 4200 pine condos. In center city there are many choices, but if you like old world consider the Coronado, 1830 rittenhouse, 1901 walnut, the barlcay....or a historic loft renovation with parking try e western union building at 1111 locust st.

Bruce Lang
Cold well banker realty Corp
2157350700
2673126221 cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 1, 2011
Hey David,
Bruce and Carl gave some thoughtful answers. Personally, I think Bruce put it best -- it all comes down to price (Center City is def pricier than the other options he listed).

I was a grad student at Penn and lived in Center City. The only other area I would add is Old City which is slightly further east of campus (on the other side of Center City/Rittenhouse Sq). The benefit you get from living in either CC or OC is accessibility to Philly's growing restaurant scene. As a foodie in his late twenties/early thirties, I appreciated being close to these and some of the bars in the area. Good luck with the potential move. I had a blast in Philly and think it's one of the underrated cities that's made a turnaround (as Carl pointed out).
Bruce targeted some key neighborhoods and key questions to living in them. In addition The Art Museum/Fairmount (19130 zip code) area north and east of the Ben Franklin Parkway also could be a good fit.

All the neighborhoods mentioned are key to the city and will maintain value. Unlike other cities like Baltimore or Cleveland our down town is strong with residential life. Our census determined we had solid growth in 2010 so much so we are seeing growth and revival in the neighborhoods bordering the central ones as well.

Carl M. Caldas
CITYSPACE
2200 Walnut St.
Phila, Pa 19103
215.279.1897
ccaldas@phillycityspace.com
David,

Welcome to Philadelphia! As you may know Philadelphia is one of the biggest international cities in this country with diverse community. I think you have a great idea in searching the historic property in diverse community. I have been selling houses in the city in different communities and to diverse clients and would be happy to assist you in your search with my professinal and personal experience. i would love to discuss with you and assist you to explore more options. Please feel free to contact me via email or call my cell phone at 267-254-4405.Looking forward to hearing from you.

Qing Hui Wang(Emily)
Realtor Licensed in PA
Bilingual in Mandarin
Century 21 Advantage Gold
5267 Roosevelt Blvd,
Philadelphia, PA 19124
Prefer Cell: 267-254-4405
Office: 215-537-0200
Email: eqhw2002@gmail.com
http://www.c21ag.com

Feb. 3 is the Chinese New Year of Rabbit.
The largest Real Estate Company in the city of Phila.
8 local offices in PA and NJ