Texasrelo, Home Buyer in Santa Clara County, CA

What neighborhoods do you recommend for family relocating from Texas - under 600k? We live in Texas and

Asked by Texasrelo, Santa Clara County, CA Wed Jun 24, 2009

will be relocating to the Saratoga area late this year or early next. I will work in Malta and we have two children (one in grade school and the other in middle). We are interested in neighborhood recommendations as we start exploring the area. Schools, a reasonable commute and strong family atmosphere are priorities and we would like to stay under 600k, with nice neighborhood amenities.

Answers

10
Welcome to Saratoga (soon)! There are tons of great neighborhoods here. A few things to consider in your decision is how close you want to be to the Northway (interstate), which is what you will take to get to Malta. From exit 14/15 Matla is about 10 minutes away. Add to that another 10-15 minutes if you want to live in Greenfield or Wilton (think of those as suburbs of Saratoga). Most people rave about Lake Ave and Caroline Street Elementary. The others are all good, the only one I have heard bad things about is Division street.

Another issue is your land/lot. In town the lots tend to be .3 acres and under. The property taxes are also quite high (I live in a 900 sq ft house on .16 acres, worth around 250K and we pay 4200 in taxes total) If you were to buy a 500K house in town you are looking at 8-12 in taxes....

If you want more land and lower taxes, go with wilton or greenfield. you lose the convenience to downtown and the malls, but you gain land and money in your pocket from saved taxes. the difference between the two besides location? greenfield is more "country"--rolling hills, woods, a few neighborhoods but mostly custom houses, trailers, farms, very patchwork. i happen to love greenfield--if it weren't for my husband's commute, i would live there :-) wilton is very cookie cutter suburbs in my mind....yes you have some trailer parks and some very nice neighborhoods, but it is full of newer construction houses....which is appealing to the masses.

hope that helps. i'm not an agent so i can actually give you my opinion about toga....and it's great!! you will love it here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 21, 2009
I would love to work with you! Please call me at your earliest convenience to set up a time to look at homes. There are many homes to choose from. Give me an email address and I will send you some listings. You can also sign up on my market leader site at saratogacountynyhomefinder.com. This site will give you daily alerts on the information you provide.
Wendy Gilligan
Equitas Realty
518 860 3109
I know exactly the position that you are in.
My family relocated at the end of last year (from Berlin, Germany) with children in elementary and my husband working in Malta (although my office is in Latham). Luckily, although gone for some time, this was the area I grew up in. So I have the benefit of a deep knowledge and the eyes of a new-comer.

I have looked at all the neighboring areas and feel very comfortable that I can discuss the pros and cons of every region. The price range you are thinking of will allow you to buy almost any home you would be interested in (not all, but most).

Whether you are coming in sooner or later, I'd love to chat about the area: the reason I returned to the real estate field after being out of the country for so long was because I love the field, love exploring neighborhoods, love meeting people and discussing the market and love to help people find an area and a home that they will be happy in.

Give me a call or drop me an e-mail and I can share what I learned as we looked for ourselves.

Gail Weiss

518-724-5862
http://www.capitalregionnyhomes.com
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Keller Williams Capital District
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
Hi there!
Please feel free to use my website at saratogacountynyhomefinder.com to look at various homes for sale in the area you wish and by the price you wish. You get to see everything I do. When you are ready and are looking for a realtor to represent you in your purchase, I would be glad to do so.
Wendy Gilligan
Keller Williams
518 860 3109
There are some beautiful neighborhoods in that price range and new construction also................call me to discuss I am a Realtor with Keller Williams Realty, Saratoga Springs.
Carol DeChiro, cdechiro@kw.com or call me any time to discuss possibilities...........518-221-8855 cell or 518-326-0711 home office

Carol
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
I just came across your question. Are you still looking? My house is up for sale.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 10, 2011
Wow, you real estate agents are unflatteringly aggressive. Texasrelo is looking for disinterested advice from homeowners and Saratoga residents - not agents vested in a sale.
Good Point...Trulia does put out questions to agents to answer....I understand what you mean..it should be about the question..not the self promotion....
Flag Thu Sep 26, 2013
You should not have a problem finding a home of your choice in this area. There are many options and depending upon what is most important and your families lifestyle will determine the direction you should take. I specialize in new construction, however my company also offers a variety of services including relocation and buyer representation. I myself have been selling homes in this area for over 25 years and am also a Trustee for The Educational Foundation as well I am President of The Women's Council of Realtors. What this means to you is that I continue to participate in our community and real estate on many levels which allow me to stay current and provide the utmost service to my clients. When you are ready, or upon your next visit, I would be happy to discuss the region as a whole and narrow down some options. I can be contacted any time by either: 518-376-2965, or via email at: cquade@nycap.rr.com. I hope to hear from you soon. Regards, Cindy Quade
Welcome to Saratoga!

You will have many, many choices in that price range in our market. Our median price is right around $300K, so your budget will buy something in most of the nicest neighborhoods in the region. Most of the school districts within a 15 minute radius of Malta are excellent, and three (Saratoga, Clifton Park and Burnt Hills) are among the best in NY State.

Please feel free to use the map-based MLS search on my website, http://www.CecilProvost.com. You can define your own search parameters and receive automatic updates whenever something new comes on the market, read the school district report cards for the area, get community reports on each town in the region, and get a great feeling for life in our region.

I moved here from Boston 25 years ago (tech industry relocation) and absolutely love it. I'm sure you will too!

Cecil Provost, GRI
Associate Broker
Keller Williams Realty Saratoga Springs
Web Reference: http://www.CecilProvost.com
Hello Texasrelo,

Welcome to Saratoga County. Saratoga is a beautiful place to live. I will be happy to send you information on the different neighboorhoods in Saratoga. Are you interested in living in an area with Homeowners Association Fees, or would you rather avoid HOA? How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you prefer.

If you can email or call me I would be happy to provide you with the information you request. I would be happy to assist you and make this transition as smooth as possible for your family.

Shelley Englert, Realtor
shelley@all-americanproperties.com
518 812-5510