Home Buying in Durham>Question Details

ellen.byars, Home Buyer in Willow Spring, NC

What neighborhoods are good to buy a home where I can walk to restaurants, etc. I also want an area where there are good schools for my child.

Asked by ellen.byars, Willow Spring, NC Wed Oct 24, 2012

Answers

3
Ellen,
The Rockwood neighborhood is terrific for walking to restaurants, yogurt and wine store, Fosters market, Gughlhuf bakery. Terrific neighbors. 5 minutes to Duke, downtown and 15 minutes to the airport.
good luck
Sharon
Ellen, Is this home you are looking going to be in the Willow Springs area? Or are you looking to move into another area, totally on the findings? Once I know where you are open to living, I can help you by providing you the walk zones to schools. It is also helpful to know your comfortable budget as some of these walk zone have more expensive homes. I have a llisting comingsoon in the Ephesus Church area of Chapel Hill that is an exceptional community and a wonderful walk zone.. I have sold homes in the walking area of Fuquay Varinia.. I lived in a wonderful walk zone in Durham in the Hillandale - Watts community, and could walk to Ninth Street.. If you would please email me DeborahMiller.ecobroker@gmail.com or give me a call 919-491-2826. I would be glad to put together communities, pulling from Trulia and the MLS once you let me know where you are open to moving to and provide you the school website so that you can do additonal research. Please let me know if I can help you further Ellen.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller, Real Estate Broker, Eco Broker
Coldwell Banker - HPW 919-491-2826
I am looking in Durham for a home. 250-375k range.
Flag Fri Oct 26, 2012
I live here in Durham and know it well, and this isn't an easy question as some necessary information is missing most importantly your price range as depending on this you may not be able to get exactly what you're looking for. Also how old are your kids? There are a number of good elementary schools in Durham, and some good high schools, judging only by grades, none of the middle schools are stellar.
If you're interested in good hard data on the schools I highly recommend http://www.NCReportCard.org.

In terms of neighborhoods that offer good walkability there are several in Southwest Durham, there's Trinity Park area, (in between Duke and Downtown) there's the areas around Ninth St.

Having lived many places, and having spent the last 8.5 years here in Durham, I'd have to say Durham isn't the most walkable city. That said I personally love Durham. I live in the Duke Forest area by Duke. Large lots, and I'm within a 7 minute drive from Downtown, Southsquare, Brightleaf, Ninth St etc.

I'd be happy to speak with you and answer any questions you might have about Durham as well as the different price points in various Durham neighborhoods. Fell free to contact me through my Trulia profile. I've also attached a link to my website and Blog where there a wealth of information about Durham and the local area.
Thank you, Larry! I would have included more info in my question but I was limited to 150 characters, sorry about that. I'm comfortable with homes up to 250-375k price range. I love Trinity Park. I will look at the report card website you recommended. My child is five now and we hope to have more so schools are important. I've heard similar things about the middle schools, unfortunately. Thanks for this information.
Flag Wed Oct 24, 2012