Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Alley_73, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

What months have the highest number of houses for sale in Austin? And which months typically have the highest home sales in Austin?

Asked by Alley_73, Austin, TX Wed Jun 6, 2012

Answers

6
Dear Alley_73,
Spring and summer are the months that have the most inventory for sale. This is historically correct except for 2008 when the homebuyer incentive program ended. Most people prefer not to move over the holidays from November through Valentines Day. That year alone had more sales in January & Feb because of this program. Right now the inventory is dwindeling as so many people are continuing to move to Austin. At the moment I have seen multiple offers on my listings. So I know the Austin Market is stronger than most.

Betina

Betina Foreman- Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
Hi, Alley.
If you'd like to look for yourself, try the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M (recenter.tamu.edu). Click on the data tab, then "Housing Activity & Affordability" tab and select your favorite city. A nice graph will appear, corresponding numbers below it.

As everyone said, the most sales occur April through July, although we have significant activity year round, unlike other parts of the USA that have rough winter weather. The number of homes for sale has been steadily declining for the past 18-24 months. If you are trying to time the market, it's probably a losing battle right now. Multiple offers, fewer homes for sale. Demand is healthy but fewer folks are interested in selling.

Search all Austin homes for sale at my website. Contact me if I can help.
Actually April, May, June, July & August are year to year the best months with the highest inventory and sales. Except in 2010, with the first time home buyer program ending in June, July and August were down 500 closings from the norm and sales continued down from there from the remainder of the year.

As said before now is a good time to buy because of low interest rates. A low inventory of available homes has moved the momentum toward a Sellers market with prices holding firm or beginning to climb. Many multiple offers on really good properties.

Good Luck and call or email me for assistance.

Bill Friedrich
512-517-2961
Alley 73, 40% of all home sales occur between May and August of any given year. That is good for you as a buyer as the selection is usually the best, and right now the rates are at historic lows. I just got a client 3.5% fixed for 30 years! A few years ago interest rates were at 6% to 7%. Many years ago, rates were as high as 22%, so now is a phenomenal time to purchase. If you're not yet working with a Realtor, I'd be happy to discuss being your Buyers Representative. I do not charge for my extensive services, and have a great team of lenders, inspectors, title people, etc. who can assist you in the process and make it very smooth and easy. Please click on my photo and review my credentials and client testimonials and contact me if I may be of further assistance. Thanks, Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, 512-261-4415
The summer months are usually the best for home sales. In the current market in Austin homes have multiple offers the first few days on the market.