Lynnea, Home Buyer in 04090

What might be the typical closing costs for a house purchased in York County Maine?

Asked by Lynnea, 04090 Mon Jun 15, 2009

Answers

4
Dale W Doughty, Jr.’s answer
Hi Lynnea,

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your question but understanding how mortgages are priced may lend some insight. There are two major costs to a mortgage and one additional major consideration. One, the interest rate. Two, the closing costs. So, a lender offering the lowest interest rate will likely have more closing costs and vice-versa. The third major consideration when shopping for a mortgage is value. What level of service am I getting? Will my broker or loan officer consider several different lenders in order to find me the best deal or will my lender simply try to "squeeze" me in to their loan program? Right now I'd say about half of my loans that are closing started somewhere else and did not get approved. (Generally at a local credit union or mortgage company with limited lenders and a limited product line). Unfortunately, todays money markets are very volatile, credit risk is an issue, job risk is an issue and lenders are changing their guidelines daily and their interest rates hourly (or more).

I can tell you that if you have perfect credit, a low loan-to-value, are not self-employed and do not have high debt-to-income you can still pretty much count on these closing costs. Attorney fee (depends on who you use but mine is $595). Appraisal (thanks to new HVCC rules) $350-600. Title Insurance (.00175 x loan amount + $100 is our premium). Processing, underwriting and origination fees are also fees to consider that will vary depending upon government vs. conventional and many other factors.

If you wanted to simply compare two loans side by side purely by cost, compare the APR's. An APR is the interest rate plus all closing costs calculated into an APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for the purposes of comparing loans. However, keep in mind that this only compares cost and not who you are doing business with and whether or not your loan will ever close. If you choose to deal with someone who claims to be the least expensive but blows a rate lock and has to charge you a higher rate later to close because rates have changed or worse blows your closing date and you lose the house of your dreams, have you really saved money?

My industry is under heavy scrutiny and (for the most part) the weak links are gone. My company is accredited by the BBB and maintains a rating that fluctuates between "A" and "A+." Whoever you choose I would urge you to investigate the company they represent. We are licensed in 35 states, have zero unresolved complaints with the Better Business Bureau and are pretty proud of it.

My Branch Office is located right in Waterboro, ME and my website is http://www.DaleDoughty.com. There are some helpful articles there (especially if you are a first-time home buyer) and you can even apply for pre-approval online. If you need help finding a Realtor I have several reputable ones that I have worked with that I would be happy to introduce you to. Good Luck!
Web Reference: http://www.DaleDoughty.com
Hi Lynnea,

Closing costs in Maine are pretty low compared to other States:

Title Search $500-600
Title Insurance $250-$300 for every $100,000 purchase price.
Maine Transfer tax $220 for every $100,000 purchase price.
Recording Fees $50

I'd be happy to give more specific answers. Do you have a particular property in mind? You can reach me directly at michael@MainePropertySales.com or 207-846-5110.

Michael
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 16, 2009
Hi Lynnea,

There are a lot of variables of course such as down payment amount, etc. However, the average closing costs I see in many transactions is between $4,500 - $5,500. I hope that helps with your planning. Some finance programs (i.e. Rural Development) will allow you to roll the closing costs into your mortgage payments if you do not have or want to pay out of pocket.

I would love to work with you in Maine once you sell your home. Feel free to contact me anytime. My information is: CJ Dubois-Cote, Prudential Prime Properties, 445 Main Street, Saco, ME 04072 - 207-282-7552 or cindy@prubay.com
Thanks for replying. I realize that I should have stated that we will not be needing a loan. A move to Maine is predicated on selling our house in another state; we would be paying for the Maine house in cash.

I literally just want some idea about closing costs.

Lynnea