Home Buying in Watertown>Question Details

Newhome Buyer, Home Buyer in Waltham, MA

What is your opinion about Repton Place in Watertown.?

Asked by Newhome Buyer, Waltham, MA Sun Oct 3, 2010

Is it a good time to buy?
Is it better to buy or rent in this market?
Is it a good location?

Answers

10
Martha Sesin’s answer
It is a great complex. Newly constructed, easy commute to Boston and very affordable. Just listed a beautiful condo at Repton Place, with all the upgrades. If you are still looking after all this time. Please contact me directly to answer all your specific questions. Please be sure to watch the home movie of the only unit available at this time. Thanks
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
I think the Repton Place condos where over priced when they first came on the market and the buyers still can not recover. However those who are selling right now seem to be more reasonable and there could be a room for negotiation. I think if you are looking to buy to spend the money on mortgage payment rather than rent, it is a good idea specially if you have a car. There are couple of other new developments on Pleasant Street which are available for rent right now, but in couple of years the developer will convert the apartments to condos and sell them for high price. You should purchase your condo at Repton Place before that to make a good profit, because the sold price of those condos will increase the prices at Repton Place.

Since there are individual unit owners who put their apartments on the market for rent, you see unreasonable pricing for studios and one bedrooms, both for the same price ($1600/month).
Do you have any low income units availible now?
Is it a good time to buy? Yes; lowest prices and mortgage rates in years.

Is it better to buy or rent in this market? If you can afford to buy, you're probably paying too much income taxes. You don't know it but you are paying a mortgage right now, only it's not YOUR mortgage; your paying your landlord's mortgage but you're not getting the mortgage interest deduction!

Is it a good location? Yes. Sit down with your agent (if you don't have one, choose me!) and ask your agent to show you comparative sales data going back 3 years on any condo doevelopment that interests you.
I was just at the Century 21 Fall Conference and the president of the company basically said "this is a once a generation opportunity" regarding the market. That is a pretty powerful statement. We are at historical low rates with prices having come way down so....is it a good time to buy??? YES.
Web Reference: http://www.medeashomes.com
It is a nice complex but a bit pricey for the location with steep condo fees.
Again I direct you to the blog on this question. Now some of the specific questions you ask like -- is a good location -- or a general opinion of Repton Place -- are not questions a real estate agent can legally answer as an opinion without getting into the risk of a housing violation called "steering." But you can start with good objective research and come up with your own opinions.
I am a life long resident Watertown Resident. I want you to know that Watertown has spent a good amount of time and money on the Pleasant Street Corrder which is the main drag fronting Repton Place. The Charles Rivver is across the street with a nice bike path that takes you all the way into the city of Boston. Shopping is around the corner Stop & shop as mentioned Russos is right across the street and is a Watertown Landmark . I think in few years this will be a tremendous Value. Any questions feel to call me at 617-733-3769.
Web Reference: http://www.timroche.com
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective, and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another--if unfamiliar with the area, do visit more than once--possibly speak to locals/neighbors, look at everything that is important to you, then make your determination--as for buying or renting--a decision only you can make based on your wants, needs, finances, lifestyle-- It’s all about costs and lifestyle. Costs—financing v. moving-in, mortgage v. rent, repairs v. upkeep. Lifestyle—stability v. mobility, predictability v. flexibility, equity v. freedom from debt. It used to be all about equity. Now, there are other variables to consider in the balancing of the buy/rent equation--You decide.'
Any time is a great time to buy. It just depends on whether this is the right time to buy for you. There are so many factors to determine whether it is better to buy or rent. It really is a factor of your personal situation. The tax benefits you gain from buying a home far exceed the deduction you can take for rent. There is no clear cut answer. The answer would vary again depending on where you were looking to buy, for how long, the type of property, how much down payment you were putting and what your personal situation is. I would be happy to discuss this further with you, if you'd like.

With respect to Repton Place, I like the building. I like the location. You have access to various bus routes as well as being within a few minutes of the Mass Pike. The building is across the street from Russos (a great vegetable market) and within seconds of the Charles River bike/walking path.

If you are looking to be represented by a buyers agent or would just like to chat about your needs/wants and any other questions, please feel free to contact me on my cell at 617-216-1493 or via email at sshahani@hammondre.com. My partner, Jeet and I work together as a team and love to work with new buyers and sellers in Newton, Brookline, Watertown and other Metro Boston towns.
Web Reference: http://www.reptonplace.com/