Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Chris 832-60…, Real Estate Pro in 77008

What is your favorite neighborhood in Los Angeles and why? I'm looking for the coolest & hippest for young professionals?

Asked by Chris 832-607-8073, 77008 Sat Mar 3, 2012

Answers

7
I don't know how hip I am, but I am pretty cool....

I've been a resident of the Hollywood area for 25 years and I highly recommend it, especially at today's prices and mortgage rates. Anything east of La Brea and west of Gower is worth considering, especially if it is a single family residence. Most importantly, you are centrally located (to all the hot spots). Hope this helps!
As a native Angeleno, I can tell you, it's hard to pick just ONE favorite, but I'll give you my top few.

Downtown Los Angeles is packed with young pros (even a few with babies, gasp!) and a dog/human ratio of about 1:2. The walkability of the area fosters social interaction and many people know there neighbors. Hint: this is not really normal in L.A. Want bars, lounges, trendy restaurants and cool old architecture? Downtown's got it.

Santa Monica, Venice, Playa Vista I lump all together because they have slightly different but mostly the same demographic: Happy, artsy, ex-hippy, entreprenuer young folks with a HUGE eco overtone. The beach, the vibe, the canals! It's sunny, relaxed and so easy to make friends. Oh and it's close to Culver City which now has a fantastic restaurant scene.

And of course, Silverlake, Echo Park areas are big on the music scene, beanie wearing in the summer, proclaiming you don't have a tv, ray bans, tight pants, and fabulous craftsman and victorian architecture.

Peace!
Web Reference: http://takeventura.com
Hi Chris,

Believe it or not Los Angeles has several exciting places to call home, it all depends on the budget and life style. From Sliverlake, Los Feliz, Sunset Strip, West Hollywood,Miracle Mile, Westwood, Santa Monica, Venice to Studio City, just to name a few. Our Downtown area has come a long way , due to the boom days of real estate, with great places to live. Old historic buildings transformed into beautiful, amenities loaded, lofts close to work and entertainment and cultural venues.

I've called Los Angeles home for over 30 years and happy to be here.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Beatrice Stambulski
Coldwell Banker

Cell (818)480-0776
Beatrice4Sold@gmail.com
Beatrice4Sold.com

Beatrice Stambulski
Coldwell Banker
Cell (818)480-0776
Beatrice4Sold@gmail.com
Beatrie4Sold.com
Hi Chris....
I loved your question, because LA is so large that it's really a dilemma for young people who move here and don't have a "base."

My answer? It depends. First, it depends on what they like to do. If they want a truly "metro" experience, with clubs, music, night activity, great restaurants, then I would recommend Santa Monica, West Hollywood near the Grove, and most definitely Silverlake, Los Feliz (90027 and 90039). Other recommendations you've received such as Studio City work too, though they are a little further from the action.

Then, are they athletic, and "eco-oriented"? If so, they will want to be where they can take to the hills without a lot of commute. Again, Santa Monica provides the beach scene, shopping, and great hills and walks nearby. But so does the inner city area of Los Feliz, where not only is there a great street life at night, but Griffith Park, providing free access to hiking/biking trails, trees, wildlife and fresh air!

Finally, and very important, is budget. If price is no object, then most likely your clients would love Santa Monica/Brentwood/West LA. Beautiful, active, all-inclusive, young, hip, sophisticated. Expensive :-))
Less costly, and still a wonderful place to live, is Silverlake, parts of Los Feliz above Sunset (90039 and 90027), the Echo Park hills (90026) . The prime spots can be expensive, but there are very affordable pockets which still give a great access to an active, engaged lifestyle and people here are primarily young, idealistic, liberal and creative....

And no one mentioned Eagle Rock, 90041, which is an extension , in a way, of Silver Lake, but more affordable.

I hope this gives you some options. LA is a diverse and exciting place to be. Over 25+ years I have lived and worked just about everywhere, so I can offer a great overview. Over time, I grew to love Silver Lake most, with the exception of Santa Monica/Malibu, of course, when cost of living is not a factor!

Joanne Sterling
Keller Williams
323-377-7056
Hi Chris,

I read this article a few weeks ago on Curbed LA titled, "The Top 5 LA Zip Codes Angelenos Want To Move To" which you might find interesting. It listed zip codes such as:

-- 91436, Encino
-- 90036, Fairfax/Mid-Wilshire/Hancock Park
-- 90066, Mar Vista
-- 90064, West LA/Cheviot Hills/Rancho Park
-- 91604, Studio City

I included the link to the article in the web references section below. Personally, I love the Sunset Junction area in Silver Lake, Melrose & Fairfax area in Los Angeles, Main Street Area of Santa Monica, & Abbot Kinney in Venice.

Take care,

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company http://www.jessica.ismyreagent.com
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct (310) 828-3132
Hi Chris--
Los Angeles--coolest neighborhoods...? LA has so many cool neighborhoods--there's a cool neighborhood at all pricepoints. I was in Houston once, and I remember the largness of the city and neighborhoods were far apart.
If you give me a ring, 323-219-4480, I'd love to talk about some of the many LA neighborhoods and maybe give you some good ideas.

Lynn Le Glaire
lynnleglaire@sbcglobal.net
It definitely depends on their style in terms of what they think is "hip & cool." I personally like the Franklin Hills in Los Feliz and the east Hollywood Hills above Hollywood by Beachwood Canyon. If they are more trendy and "upscale," I would suggest West Hollywood and the Hills above the Sunset Strip; however, if they are more "hipsters" then Silver Lake would probably be best. If they want to be closer to the beach, then Venice and Santa Monica may be more ideal.

I know that is several different neighborhoods, but obviously different people have different perceptions of what is hip and cool.

I have a great loft listing in a hip doorman building in the heart of booming Hollywood that would be perfect for a young professional. You can see it here: http://6253Hollywood306.com. We are selling it fully furnished with all designer furnishings, so is move in ready.

Best Wishes,

--
Eric Smilay
West Los Angeles Realty
T: 310.600.9172
SmilayProperties.com
Web Reference: http://smilayproperties.com