Home Buying in Surprise>Question Details

Theresa, Both Buyer and Seller in 85614

What is the water situation in Arizona, particularly in Surprise? We are out of state and don't know much about the area.

Asked by Theresa, 85614 Sat Nov 20, 2010

Is water a big problem in Arizona? What would an average utility bill run for a month? Looking to retire in a few years and would be happy to get your feedback. Any drawbacks?
We can retire in 3 years, is it a good idea to buy now or do you think the prices will pretty much stay what they are now? Thanks!

Answers

9
Kennedy's of Surprise Arizona

I have a home in Surprise Az for the past three years and my water bills have averaged $ 70.00 per M\month. This is because I have a pool and irrigation for my property. So it could not get much worse than this so i am sure it is half of this with out all the extra demands on the system. The bill that I would watch out for is the hydro bill. I installed a very large solar system because I found out this concern early preparation for my retirement. The market is heating up in sales so i would m\not wait too long to buy in to the market. Best planning is well rewarded.>>> Best Wishes
Yeh but if you buy at least 1 acre outside the urban sprawl, the question is, will the state or the county or whoever has jurisdiction allow a water well and if they did, would the well be expected to be good for a flow of at least 5-10 gallons a minute on a fairly steady basis.....that is, over a long time period?
I have lived in Surprise for almost 16yrs, we had well water from the Sun Cities when we first moved here. I can tell you, we use reclaimed water for our HOA's grass watering. The Maricopa Water district has a huge site in West Surprise running along the White Tank mountains for groundwater recharging. (where groundwater is left there to seep back down into the underground aquifers to be used later.) I am sure if you call our water company - Arizona American Water- they will have more info. We have a family of 5, with tones of laundry and everyone takes daily showers/baths...no pool. Our 2500sqft house electric is $150/mth on time advantage equalizer payments for electric (we pay same amount every month). Our water bill is usally about $50-75/mth. We pay trash/sewage to City of Surprise of about $20/mth. Oh, and we have a gas h20 heater - runs about $35/mth for gas bill.

Now is a great time to buy in Surprise! I see tons of houses availabe for sale and at great values! As for in 3yrs, who knows what tomorrow brings, we are not psychic! But, the prices are starting to stabilze here, and mortgages are at a good rate right now! Call your lender/credit union to get rates.

Hope that helped! :-)
Arizona American Water services Surprise. You can check with them.
http://www.amwater.com/azaw/
1-800-383-0834
Web Reference: http://www.jameswehner.com
Theresa, below is a link to check the water supply in Maricopa County where Surprise is located.

The utility bill will depend on many things. Some people are more conservative than others and obviously the most expensive time is during the hottest summer months when using air conditioning.

Regarding Surprise area closings and depending an what type of property you're looking for (condo, townhouse, patio home, single family, etc) here's what I pulled up today comparing Jan-Nov 2009 to Jan-Nov 2010:
Pricing in Condos are down 8% with the average this year $81,000
Patio Homes are down 14% with the average this year $139,000
Townhomes are down 17% with the average this year $96,000
Single Family homes are down 1% with the average this year of $150,000

Interest rates are low right now and who knows what they'll be in 3 years. As far as being able to predict where we'll be in 3 years in housing given the current economic situation and taking into account the confidence level of the american public, I'd need to buy a crystal ball. Arizona has great buys right now and will always be a popular place for retirement and with all the baby boomers that are retiring now and in the near future, I think Arizona is a great bet!

Additionally if you have not been to the area, I would strongly suggest you come here and spend several days checking out the area you plan on retiring in. You may find you like one particular area better than another especiailly if you plan on living there for the rest of your life. :>)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 21, 2010
Arizona's water situation is well managed as compared to other states.
We are told that Arizona has adequate water in the managed areas for the next 100 years.
Surprise falls within the managed areas.
As long as you get city water you should be just fine.
That is a load of ****. Ground water is being mined. Current yields are unsustainable. Streams that ran year round a hundred years ago are now dry. The Verde river is on its way to drying up. The water situation is far from well managed, you incompetent ninny.
Flag Thu Sep 19, 2013
Theresa, although it can never be guaranteed, we do have adequate water supplies in Arizona. We have just recently started using our share of the Colorado River water in Arizona (in previous years we would sell it to California and Nevada). I believe every community that has new homes being built, like Surprise has to have a 100 year water plan. Jeff is correct your water, sewer and trash bill will be between $50 and $100 per month depending on your usage.

Your electric bill vary depending on the size of your home and usage. In general you can count on your LOWEST bill in the winter and your HIGHEST BILL in late summer (August). Here is a general calculation you can use .05 cents multiplied by the sqft of the house for your winter low bill and .15cents multiplied by the sqft of the house for the summer high bill. (Example, home is 1,500 sqft X .05 cents = $75 for the winter bill and 1,500sqft x .15 cents = $225 for the summer high bill - not including a pool which can ad $60 to $120 to the summer high bill)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
I have been a valley of the sun resident since 1971.
FREE LIVE LIST of Surprise Homes For Sale (click link below)
Be wary of any agent that miss-spells his own last name. LOL

Phoenix is the 5th largest metro in the country. If there were any known water supply issues, do you think this area would still be growing?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 20, 2010
Dear Theresa:

Arizona's water in Maricopa County comes from a combination of the Salt River, Gila River resevoir systems and the Colorado River. There are about 12 dams around the rivers which comes from water runoff in the northeeastern mountains. Waterr bills for a residential communit y run from $50 to $100 per month dependig on usage. There have been no water restriction uses during the past 25 years in areas served by this system. There is still a lot of water in the system used by farmers. Over the years many of these farms and ranches have been sold to support newer residential communities.

The old investment adage is buy low and sell high. They are low now and mortgage interest rates are near 40 year lows. How much longer will both remain at this low point.? No one knows for sure.

Jeff Maisch, Realtor
Arizona Homes and Land
http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
HomeSmart Realty
Bought a home in Suprise in Apr 13. My water bill normally runs from 40-60 dollars a month with another 20 or so added on for sewer. The person I bought it from failed to inform me that they had used an excess of water in 2012 and their water bill for about six months were around $180 to $220. Now here is the kicker. The new buyer is responsible for tax on this water use. When I received my property tax in Oct of 13, the tax wsas $160 dollars (thats right) $160 dollars more than they paid in 2011 and I have to pay for their water use. So if you are buying a home make sure you check on the water use for the year prior to you buying the home because you will have to pay for that use. I was told the tax on my home was $1000 dollars when I bought the home, when I got my tax statement they increased to ove $1200. Go figure, I have never heard of any such tax as this before. They will send this to your bank and your payments will increase. BiG JOKE and the water is nasty cant drink
Flag Wed Nov 6, 2013