Alice, Home Buyer in Newark, CA

What is the typical cost of remodeling per square foot, say if you want to add an extension to the existing home?

Asked by Alice, Newark, CA Thu Dec 16, 2010

Answers

7
The truth to the matter is there is no typical cost. An agent responded with $250 / sq ft. It's a good starting point for basic addition. You will find that contractors will give you a wide range of estimates. Be careful on how you choose the contractor, not just based on price.

Another thing to keep in mind is that keep your remodeling in line with the rest of neighborhood. Don't over-improve. Take your purchase price and add your remodeling cost. The total should be in line with the market prices of your location. You should also conform in terms of square footage and finishes. Say your neighbors have houses in the 1000-1300 sq ft range. If you add an addition so that your house is now 2000 sq ft, you will have diminishing return on the last 500 sq ft.

You should consult a real estate professional who give you an analysis of the market and the remodeling budget.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 16, 2010
I think it depends on the area in which you live as well as the contractor you hire. I would have the contractor you plan on hiring come and look at your home to give you an estimate. I think this should give you the best idea of what you're going to be paying. It's definitely the first step I would take. http://www.arochadesignbuild.com
Flag Fri Mar 6, 2015
The previous answer puts it pretty well. The only thing I would add, Alice, is that it is going to depend a lot on the contractor you are going to use, and the quality and price of the amenities inside the extension. Prices vary greatly from one contractor to the next, sometimes with reason, and sometimes with no added benefit. A good part of your equation is choosing the right contractor.
If you want a copy of a study showing what you are likely to recoup in the value of the house, don't hesitate to contact me. I will email it to you.
Web Reference: http://www.FRolland.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 16, 2010
Move to Texas and consider closer to $100 a foot to remodel. No state income tax either. I have sold other California buyers homes that appreciate the tax incentives.
Flag Tue Sep 17, 2013
Right now you should use $250 per square foot assuming it's a basic addition such as a bedroom or family room. That price will go up if you are adding a kitchen or bathroom which requires more plumbing, electrical and gas services.

The price will drop less if you're just updating a home. A 10x15 kitchen remodel with new cabinets, appliances, etc will run about $30,000 which works out to about $200 per square foot. That's assuming a nice kitchen with high-quality cabinets, mid-range appliances, and nice fixtures - fully installed. I've personally done kitchens for less but it depends on the home and market.

You'll spend more if you add on extras with labor intensive extras such as lots of tile work, inlays, certain kinds of paint, and more.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 16, 2010
Just to give you a realistic idea on a couple more common costs, I pulled up the numbers from one of my past projects. This home was 1,200 square feet on two levels plus about an 800 square feet basement. The total renovation cost was approximately $85,000
In California you are looking at $300 per square foot, cost will depend on your selection of materials, starting at $300 per Sq ft is realistic. You can spend much more, but if you stay with the original plans, and do not make changes while in construction you can meet your goal. Never cut cost on structural components, if you want to save money, only change "down" on cosmetic additions.
Anna Hershey.
Lajollahomes@annahershey.com
Alice:

As stated below, it really depends on the type of addition you are planning to add. The costs for a basic bedroom or family room are going to be very different than the numbers associated with adding a bathroom or extending a kitchen. As an example, if you simply expand the kitchen and leave all the appliances and utilities in the same locations, you can escape with a relatively low cost. The moment you start moving the utilities (waste and supply lines to the sink, gas to the range, electrical to the oven) the costs dramatically increase.

If you are planning to add to a home in Newark, your costs to increase will also vary depending on the type of home you have. If you have a single story flattop and want to add space your costs will be lower than if you are planning on adding on to a conventional home in a location such as The Lake area of Newark. Parts of Newark are included in a PUD (Planned Unit Development) and have strict guidelines that govern what you can and cannot do. I’d recommend you start with the Planning Department at Newark’s City Hall. They can explain the various options to you. It’s best to get started on the right foot.

Go to this website for contact information:
http://www.newark.org/departments/planning-and-economic-deve…

Once you understand what your options actually are, then I’d recommend you talk to a contractor. Accurate numbers are only going to come from a licensed general contractor once they have an precise idea of your scope of work. Additionally, depending on the extent of your project, you will need drawings that must to be submitted to the city building department for approval. These drawings can range from inexpensive to very costly depending on your scope of work.

Since I live in the area, am also a licensed general contractor who fully understands the building process and have worked extensively with the City of Newark on many different projects, if you wish, I can provide you with names of reputable local general contractors, designers, architects and other trades who can give you realistic numbers based on accurate understanding of what you’d like to do.
.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 17, 2010
Alice, the price can also go up if you add a second story. It will probably be closer to $400 a square foot if you have to shore up the foundation and walls if you add a second story.

Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference: http://www.marcymoyer.com