Cathy Andrews, Other/Just Looking in Fitchburg, MA

What is the shortest amount of time you can list your house for?

Asked by Cathy Andrews, Fitchburg, MA Sat Apr 24, 2010

Answers

13
THE ANSWER IS - THERE IS NONE - you can list it for 1 minute, 1 hour or 10 years.
I am unsure what your asking for but that is in fact the answer.

Advise is always free - if you have any other concersn or questions just email me at jmjonesrealtor@gmail.com or call or text me at 978-335-9092.

I am always here to help. Have a great weekend, try to stay dry tomorrow.

J
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 24, 2010
Cathy, everything is negotiable. If I had a buyer already for your house, I would ask for a shorter time and probably a lower commission. An unusual house that is going to be more difficult to find a buyer will require longer. We spend several hundred dollars up front just to get the house into MLS and on the web sites.
Web Reference: http://www.sumnerteam.com
That is negotiable but I would say 90 days. More common is 180 days. If you want an agent to commit you should commit to them!
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
I just thought I'd be a little flip in my answer (no offense intended) and say - less than a day! If you're lucky, it will be listed for a day, the broker open house could be the same day and you might have a buyer in hand the next day! Who knows? I've seen houses sell before the first open house was even held.

If you have a nice house in a nice location at a nice price, it will sell nice and fast! :-)

-Tim
It's between you and the broker. Normal contracts are 6 mos. I have takens omeon for 3 months.
There is no time limit. It takes a lot of effort to get a home listed for sale, and most sellers are committed to the process. I think the hidden question here is, why are you asking? THere's probably an underlying situation here that we can help you with.

Best-

matt

Matt Heisler is a real-estate professional and owner of Heisler & Mattson Properties. He has been selling residential real-estate for over 10 years. He has given several talks on real estate, including presentations on first-time buyer tips & tricks, and profiting in real estate investing in Massachusetts. As a Vanderbilt University alumnus, he is proud to serve the communities of Natick, Framingham, Medfield, Millis, Holliston, Hopkinton, Southborough, Westborough, Northborough, Grafton, Marlborough, Shrewsbury, Worcester, Milford, Charlton, Northbridge, Sutton, Hudson, Sudbury, Clinton, Boylston, and West Boylston. His company website can be found at http://www.bjheisler.com, and his Metrowest Blog can be read at http://HomeSellingInMass.net.

*All information is posted in good faith and is assumed to be reliable, but may rely on third party information sources.
Cathy:

That question depends on each brokerage, but I personally will take a listing for as short as 30 days if our initial market position is one that is certain to create urgency and excitement amongst the limited buyer pool. Realtors get paid to sell homes, and if the sellers do not position their homes properly then it will be a much longer process. Hope this is helpful. Best
Hi Cathy, that will vary by brokerage - because of the investment in marketing a home, which is heavily loaded that the beginning of the listing period, I ask for 6 months, sometimes more, but I am satisfied with 6 months which in my market is a very standard period. As time to sell as increased, I do see longer listing periods, and I will say that as the market has become more competitive, some agents are listing for 3 months. So it varies, but I would say that 6 months is a very standard term.

As with most important decisions, choose your agent carefully.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hello Cathy,
The amount of time that a house is listed varies because it is all negotiable. If you are interested in hearing about eXp Realty and our 3% listing program I would more than happy to explain that to you.

Adam@Hebertrealestate.com
978.401.5559
There are no set standards of time--you can list for however long you wish--however, depending on the marketing plan--do allow enough time for proper exposure.
I have to agree with J. Any term of time could be used. There are no set times, just as there are no set commissions. There may be office/brokerage policies but everything is negotiable. You should interview several agents/brokers to see what they offer and the rationale for specific time lengths for contracts as well as the other terms and services offered. Take good notes and compare.

Hope that helps,
Web Reference: http://www.MedfordHouse.com
I've seen houses listed for a week. Are you concerned about the market and just want to test the waters?

I'm a licensed Realtor in MA so if I can be of any further assistance please contact me at elizabeth@elizabethherbert.com.
Cathy,
Do you mean- what is the shortest time period a listing agreement can be made for? If that is your question, I imagine it could be any length of time. I usually suggest a minimum of six months, but it is flexible, depending on the situation... and it can always be cancelled or withdrawn before it expires, too. To the best of my knowledge there is no required duration of a listing.
If you mean- how quickly can a hose be listed, well, that depends, too. An experienced and organized agent can have your listing active within a day or two of initial contact, if the seller is prepared and in a hurry.
If you mean- how quickly can a house sell for... a house can sell on the first day it is on the market. The listing lasts until the closing actually happens, which can take a few weeks or a few months, but the listing will no longer be active.
I hope one of these was the answer you're looking for!
Rachelle