Home Buying in Waltham>Question Details

randee, Other/Just Looking in 02155

What is the safest and nicest part of Waltham Ma to live in.?

Asked by randee, 02155 Thu May 14, 2009

Answers

7
Oh Give Me A Home’s answer
I'd be careful about buying in Waltham in general, and especially based on appears to be a nicer area. There are a number of properties which receive exceptions in zoning, allowing for large houses to be built on small lots -- many less than the size of a basketball court. Some other towns and cities require over an acre of land for certain areas, and have more stringent control over zoning exceptions. So you may pay more initially, but have fewer surprises in terms of more construction and crowding in those towns and cities.

There are some nice areas out there in Waltham, but doing research is very prudent -- including if there are any pending lot exceptions about to be built right near your property of interest. You can check the building permits for properties in the vicinity, and see if there is pending construction nearby. Another tip may be seeing if the property you are considering is already less than the zoning minimum required for the district. If it is, you may be finding yourself soon in a more crowded neighborhood than you realized. The zoning maps and zoning requirements can be seen on the city website, and compared with other city and towns in Massachusetts that freely provide that information online as well. The lot sizes of properties on the street can be seen on the appraisal listings also available on the Waltham website, as well as the date of the development of the property. This can give some sense of stability in a neighborhood.

It's a nice city in some respects, but overdevelopment is definitely a concern in this city. Future Waltham home values may decrease due to this continued crowding of certain neighborhoods. For myself, buying a home in the Waltham Highlands has taught me some unfortunate lessons, especially about zoning practices in this city. My hope is that others choose their location wisely, and avoid the problems for their new home choices.
I work for Coldwell Banker in Waltham and would be happy to meet with you.

Kenzo
617 233 9651
There are a lot of places to get crime statistics, even on trulia, so that might be a good place to start. There are also a couple good answers below from non-re agents which are helpful.

Here is everything actively on the market in Waltham with a map:
http://www.territoryre.com/idx/search.html?search=true&s…
Web Reference: http://www.territory.com
Just about all of Waltham is safe. Some of the nicest neighborhoods are Warrendale on the Watertown line and Cedarwood close to Weston and Rte 95/128. In addition, the neighborhoods off Forest Street are extremely desirable, as are the Piety Corner area. I hope this helps you in your search!
I'm not a RE agent, so I can give my opinion. If you do a search, you'll find answers from previous inquires that I've made. I'm looking again to buy in Waltham, here are my observations.

Essentially, for single families, south of Main St is less desirable and the neighborhood really looks more 'messy' than the north. However, the North doesn't have the quick access to the famous Moody St (restaurants) and not as easy to rely on public transport as the South.

Usually, the more urban, the more mixing... so the messy-feel of the south is a results of mixing multi-unit apartments, high end condos, projects, etc. all in the same vicinity. Whereas the north part of town is more uniformly single families and looks more safe.
Forest St,Pigeon Hill area near Bentley College
For an ethical real estate agent /Realtor to answer the question would be violating fair housing laws. A good buyers agent would have the tools and experience to help you determine if certain areas are right for you.
Web Reference: http://www.thehousewiz.com