Vivien, Home Buyer in Chatsworth, CA

What is the resale value in Saugus, CA versus Simi Valley, CA?

Asked by Vivien, Chatsworth, CA Tue Jul 7, 2009

We are moving for better schools and a bigger house, and we found one in Saugus, CA and Simi Valley that meet our price range (low $400ks). Which one do you think that has better resale value, Saugus or Simi Valley?

I would physically visit the schools in both areas. Look at homes in both areas to make sure the home size fits your needs with your budget. Speak with neighbors in each community to get feedback. Study the crime statics in each area. I personnally like Saugus over Simi Valley. To me, Simi Valley is very congested whereas Saugus has plenty of room for growth and development. A huge development is in the works to develop the area west of Magic Mountain. I think it speaks volumns when developers and the city want to pour money into their community during these economical times.

I've lived in the Santa Clarita Valley for eight years now and absolutely love it!

Good Luck! If I can be of further assistance, call me at (661) 255-3335.

Cheryl Garner, Mortgage Expert
Fairview Mortgage Capital, Inc.
Email: cheryl@cherylgarner.com
CA DRE-01262285 NMLS-295929
Web Reference: http://www.cherylgarner.com
Simi Valley runs 10% more expensive than Santa Clarita which includes Saugus. So if you buy a house in Saugus it will cost 10% less and resale 10% less. In terms of a bigger house you will get more for your money in Saugus than Simi Valley. Schools are very good in Saugus but some areas of Saugus the schools are bit better than others. I'm not as knowledgable about Simi schools. I would examine both areas with a full time local expert. Pick out a few different neighborhoods you like in each area and then you can see what your money will buy in each and examine those schools.

Call the schools and take a tour to verify they meet your needs, talk to any parents you see during your tour and maybe a few children too to get their input. It is critical you verify with the school district the school boundaries, to verify your children would attend the school of your choice.

Gary had great answers for SCV and Simi is strong in schools too and oh boy, are they into their children and the sports programs (my nephew is active in the programs). You may want to look into the difference of the cost of property taxes too. Both locations are great and have a decent commute to the Valley's or beyond and both areas are highly desirable. Where do you work and what would be your commute? You might want to drive from both areas at the time you would normally be on the road and check if the commute is right for you.

I don't see how you can go wrong with either SCV or Simi. I work both SCV/SFV board and also a member of the Ventura board so if you need additional information, please don't hesitate to give me a call.

Best of luck in your search,
TV-Tracy Van De Mark
(661) 310-4004
In our current real estate market most communities have experienced declining property values. Saugus is a very desirable location within the Santa Clartia Valley. The community offers California distingushed schools and plenty of youth sporting programs. Santa Clarita is home to Magic Mountian, which provides local teens with job opportunites & LA's largest business park, which makes the Santa Clarita Valley economically stable. Saugus is 7 minutes from Lake Castiac, 35 minutes from Santa Monica and 40 minutes from downtown LA. Saugus has all the variables necessary to to maintain property values as this real estate market recovers. Should you need a current market anaylsis on any home in Saugus, please feel free to contact me. I moved my family here as a young policemen in 1993.
I'd look at school scores and comps.
I would think that Simi Valley would be a better, but that is just a hunch. You need some real numbers.
What does your Realtor say?
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA