Jon D., Home Buyer in 92870

What is the pros and cons of buying a manufactured home?

Asked by Jon D., 92870 Tue Apr 5, 2011

I was interested in this property in Yorba Linda: 17645 Sunwest Circle, Yorba Linda CA 92886. The house and neighborhood is beautiful. But I was advised not to get it because it was a manufactured home. I love the house and the neighborhood. And for the price, I think it's a great deal. I just wanted to get more opinions about buying a home like this. Thank you in advance!!

Answers

12
Sandra Johnson’s answer
At one time 26 years ago I was a first time home owner and my husband and I were looking at that community and we did not buy a home in there because of the resale value and construction of the homes. Around 15 years later I had a coworker who owned a home in that community and by then the area and homes were showing their age. When it was time for her to sell and move up she was unable to sell her home even though she had upgraded her home and it was in very good condition.

I am a REO listing agent and over the past 5years I have reported on the value of the home in the Orange County area and that area has had a very large drop in home value. I believe it would be better to take your buying power to another Yorba Linda area. I have sold several homes in the area and if you would like more information please just give me a call or email. Sandra
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 6, 2011
Don,
What are the Pros and Cons of owning a mobile home? Do you know what a mobile home is? Honestly, the pros and cons need to come to you, from you. I highly suggest you research mobile homes, affidavit of fixture, and see what your list of pros and cons are. Asking others, agents, & Realtors what their pros & cons are for any home is a mistake. That would be like asking someone what your favorite color is.

Best of luck with your research.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 6, 2011
You are a dbag. Help people out, or shut up.
Flag Yesterday at 10:04am
Don
I highly recommend a physical inspection on any property u may consider buying esp on manufactured homes.the inspector will check the structure ,siding ,crawling space.sometimes soil can become wet and moisture will accumulate underneath,so keep an eye on that..taxes are the same as SFR.let me know if I can help you with anything.
Madeleine
7143225428
Web Reference: http://www.mado1.com
The tax is the same as any other home - the purchase price determines that, Maintence - The siding may last longer. Yes, it does feel like your walking on a second floor... I have seen them last a long time just as a house... It always depends on how you maintain your home as to how long it will last.. I'm sure you already know that.. Bye For Now, Ingrid Ski Realtor
Thanks everyone for the quick responds! This is not a mobile home and I could never tell if it's a manufactured home if the agent didn't tell me about it. It looks just like a regular house. My concerns are: structural; what it's like to live in one (one thing I noticed is the floor feels hollow, as if I'm walking on a second floor);tax; maintenance; and how long will the house last(this house was built in 85).
Hi Don,

Pro: It's cheaper than a house.
Con: It's going to be valued less than a house when you sell it.

Everything else is a matter of preference. If you like the home and the neighborhood, buy it. :)

Aaron Zapata
Web Reference: http://www.aaronzapata.com
@ John Arendsen,thx for mentioning the engineering certification,433a.my seller on greenbrair in yorba linda didn't have it to provide it to the FHA buyer I had,so bank of America requested that as a condition of closing.we were delayed few days but we succussefuly closed it.its costly for the buyer to get,think was close to $600.00.
Madeleine Semaan
7143225428
Web Reference: http://www.mado1.com
Many people want to become homeowners but find the process of looking for a decent home with a tight budget makes it all seem so impossible. One option that you might consider, an option that would allow you to have a nice home without breaking the bank is the manufactured home. Unfortunately, this type of home has had a dark cloud cast over it unfairly.
What makes a manufactured home unique is that the entire structure is built on site at a factory. However, the home must meet strict federal building and safety guidelines set forth by the manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, which fall under the HUD code. In other words, just because these homes are built in a factory and then moved to the buyer's property, they still have to meet or exceed local or state codes.
Absolutely nothing wrong with any manufactured home built after June, 1976 (pre HUD) which would be quite difficult if not impossible to finance. I can take you on a tour through any manufactured home facility you wish to tour and assure you that the building materials and method of construction are exactly the same as any site built home.

In fact the materials in an environmentally controlled factory will be cleaner, straighter and dryer. I've been in the Manufactured Home Industry for 3 decades and have fought an uphill battle arguing and defending Manufactured Homes. I'm very glad to see that there are real estate professionals who are acting very professional in this instance and not slamming this very upwardly mobile industry. Pun intended.

My only advice is that you get an experienced manufactured home inspector to carefully inspect the understructure (crawl space) under the home to make sure that the piers, pads, foundation components and vapor barrier (holds in the insulation) are in tact. Most home inspectors don't understand what they are even looking at in this area so you really need to pick an experienced Manufactured Home Inspector.

Feel free to contact our offices and we'll be happy to refer an experienced MH inspector in your area. Our company actually does the engineered certifications and 433a documentation for MH's nationwide, which you will have to obtain if you are purchasing via FHA, and we work with experienced inspectors throughout the nation.

All the best and enjoy your home.

John DL Arendsen
CEO ON THE LEVEL General Contractor INC.
Real Estate Broker
Manufactured Home Dealer & Developer.
You may have been advised not to buy If you were buying into a Mobile Home Park where they also have manufactured homes, you would be better off buying a Home or a condo. They maybe referring to -- In the Mobile Home Park the land space usually around $1,000. per month for the land lease, and you must qualify and interview with the park, and qualify for the loan with the lender, the interest rates starts at 7%. Don't forget you are paying a mortgage as well.. This is not in a Mobile Home Park on leased land, -- Now for a this Home there is no HOA dues, No need to be interviewed by the Mobile Home Park, the Interest rates estimate 5% and have a mortgage payment .. Sound slike a good deal.. -- If you were to buy a condo you would pay only the HOA dues usually around $200. - $400., then qualify for the mortgage payment, with interest rates estimate at 5%, These would be the 3 senerios. This home has already accepted an offer on it. Hope this information will help you in the future. You should get or have your agent go over all the options with you and work for you on your behalf. Bye for now.. Ingrid Ski Realtor 949-874-0432 OCAreaHomes@Gmail.com
Its a great property.I just closed one on greenbriar last month.the buyer was able to get regular financing(FHA with only 3.5%).you own the land and the house is bollted to a foundation(studs).makers prefab them and bring them to the site.any questions feel free to call me @ 7143225428
Mado1
First Team Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.mado1.com
Hi Don,

You are right this is a great neighborhood. I watched the properties being built. I live a few blocks away. Really a good area. I have shown this home a number of times. Manufactured homes are a lot less expensive. I was surprised to see a manufactured home in this tract. I think it is the only one. There is complete tract of manufactured homes off of Avenida Adobe in Yorba Linda. Children in the Avenida Adobe tract go to the awesome Travis Ranch school. The only school in Yorba Linda that is K-8.
This home on Sunwest is in escrow but its status is Back Up Offer so a buyer can still view the house if they like. Sometimes houses fall out of escrow for various reasons. It went in to escrow on March 20th.
Should you wish to see this house and don't have an agent to show it for you please let me know.
Web Reference: http://www.mrfirstteam.com