Liz, Home Buyer in Worcester, MA

What is the neighborhood like around UMass?

Asked by Liz, Worcester, MA Wed Dec 12, 2007

(Belmont Street, Elizabeth Street, Bell Hill Park, etc.) How can I find information about the crime rate and other important statistics of this area? I'd just like to make sure the neighborhood I'm purchasing a home in is safe. Thanks!

Answers

6
Hi Liz, to get a precise answer to your question for the safety of the area and the crime rate, it would be best to call the Worcester Police Department for a crime report. You can reach them at 508-798-8600. As a realtor who specializes in the Worcester area (and surrounding towns), I would be more than happy to help you out but I would need more info as to the statistics you are lookin for. If you would like to e-mail me @ npetty9767@yahoo.com I can go into more detail.
Happy Hunting!
Nancy
I am 15 and lived in worc. all my life. stay away if you can!!! lol. but seriousouly its OK. Belmont hill does not have the greatest rep. just 2 let u kno
Web Reference: http://ci.worcester.ma.us
Hi Liz,
I've lived in Worcester my entire life and I'm looking to buy again. Stephanie is so right as far as the areas you were questioning. Worcester is funny in that way - you can have a few awesome streets and then a total nightmare just a couple of minutes down the road. If you are looking to live near Umass, definitely avoid the areas you mentioned - however, there are many nice streets & neighborhoods close to Umass. There are a bunch of little streets off of Commonwealth Ave that have a bit of a towny feel to them. Yet you would be very close to Umass and it's so convenient to Hamilton AND Grafton Streets. You can also check out some of the streets off of Lake Ave. You do have a lot of options. Good luck!!
Liz,
yeah be very, very cautious. I cannot stress enough how dangerous that area is (I am a homeowner not a real estate agent so I can legally say that) and to make sure you take a look carefully before signing anything. Drug raids, sirens and all manner of nonsense are pretty common over that way.
Hi Liz, I'm glad I could help you out. It is actually illegal for me to say what is a 'good' area vs. a 'bad' area so the best thing to do is talk with the local police to get a better idea. Aslo a drive through the neighborhood can tell a great deal. If you're not already working with a realtor I would be more than happy to help you further. I can set up an e-mail account for you where you will get listings with your specific criteria but you do not recieve any spam and there is no fee to use me as your buyer's realtor!
Good luck!!
Nancy
Thank you very much! I actually did call the Worcester police department this afternoon and learned what I needed to. What I need to remember for next time is to be more specific as apparently one street over makes a world of difference. I learned this getting a second opinion from someone who knows the area well. Glad I asked!
Thanks so much for your help!