Sandy, Home Buyer in West Lafayette, IN

What is the maximum number of unrelated individuals allowed to occupy a single family home or condo in West Lafayette?

Asked by Sandy, West Lafayette, IN Tue Jun 15, 2010

I was thinking of buying a condo for my two sons who are Purdue students and renting out one or two other bedrooms to their friends? Do I have to look for property with certain zoning in order to do this?

Answers

1
Hi Sandy, you may lease your property to 3 unrelated individuals, this applies to all properties in Tippecanoe County, whether it's within the city limit or out in the country. There are no special zoning required, most likely, if you're buying a single family home or a condo in West Lafayette, they are zoned R1, just for your information. Your two sons are counted as one entity, so technically, you may rent out to two other unrelated individuals. You will need to apply for a rental certification through the City of West Lafayette (even if your property is located in the Klondike/Harrison district and not the West Lafayette schools district), there's usually a $500-1000 up front fee to this (cheaper if you can provide a recent property inspection report), the city will review this information and possibly send out an inspector to make certain the home meets all requirements as a rental. You will then be issued a rental certification sticker to be displayed at the home. There's a renewal fee of $200 every year or two. Hope you'll find this information helpful. Feel free to contact me for further assistance in purchasing a property in West Lafayette. Thanks and have a great one!
Sarah Fruehling
Broker Associate
sarah.fruehling@gmail.com
http://www.sfruehling.remax-indiana.com