Sergio, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

What is the lowest down payment % needed for a conventional loan? What lenders offer them?

Asked by Sergio, San Jose, CA Sat Feb 27, 2010

Answers

6
Sergio,
You already have multiple answers to your specific question. However, I suggest you should also be checking into the multiple great 1st time buyer programs available through Federal, State, Counties, and Cities. Many of these can be compined to produce fantastic results. There is a very good chance that you could make a much bigger impact on your down payment requirement and mortgage payment by consulting a 1st time buyer specialist familiar with all of these options.
Hey Sergio,
5% for conventional with certain institutions. 10% is a good place to be with a lot of the bigger lenders that I work with (BofA, WF). Most lenders offer coventional loans but you must have good credit standing and reserves. Also note that it is a very competitive market right now and sellers in SCC tend to accept the 'best and highest' offer. Not to discourage, but it is a reality that I am facing with the majority of my buyers. It's a good idea to go for a larger down payment and conventional loan on a less expensive home, than a higher purchase price and less down payment.

Good luck!!
Hi Sergio…conventional lenders, those backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, will require at least 5% down payment which must come from the borrower. There are a few lenders that may also allow down payment assistance programs to assist towards closing costs, but I’m pretty sure that if the loan is backed by Fannie and Freddie then you’ll need at least 5% towards the purchase price.

But not all lenders offer this program, most now require 10% down on conventional loans due to Mortgage Insurance Company overlays…but rest assured, the 5% down loan is out there.

Contact a good mortgage broker for further details as mortgage brokers work with numerous banks and offer the most flexibility of choice. Be sure the broker you choose has established relationships with numerous banks and lending sources, as well as the ability to offer FHA programs (since FHA will may allow less down payment). The mortgage broker I choose to work with is the Loan Source in San Jose – http://www.TheLoanSource.com – check them out!

Hope this helps!
Hi Sergio,
Of course, FHA is now the primary source of loans with less than 20% down payment. However, this week our in-house lender, Calvin Sue announced a new program through Wells Fargo Bank that could compete with FHA and not entail the difficult government requirements. I don't know the details, but call Calvin directly at 408-528-1718.

Roland
Thadeus does have a good point, FHA is a great way to go if you have little $$ down. Although if you can put 20% down you will not have the required mortgage insurance that adds to your monthy expenses.

I would recommend that you find a great Mortgage Broker that knows the conventional market well. And don't be afraid to shop around!

James Peterson
I specialize in assisting First Time Home Buyers!
Broker/Associate
408-836-9653
DRE# 01373575
james@sanjosefirsthome.com
We have 3.5% down with 620 min. credit score on FHA loans.
Feel free to contact us for details. You can pre-qualify or apply thru our secure website http://www.mortgagefundingloans.