Dd, Other/Just Looking in 10304

What is the downside to PGA national compared to the more upscale golf communities?

Asked by Dd, 10304 Wed Apr 22, 2009

Answers

4
You must be a member or stay at the hotel to play golf at PGA. Certain courses are not available to hotel guests. Also, every license plate is indexed 24/7, with permission for entry only granted in the evenings by a home owner. Some communities have another manned gate in addition to the main gates. Also, there are homes that are in PGA that were built in the 2000s. PGA National is popular because of the 5 courses, but also all of the different swimming pools by the Spa, and the huge pool by the hotel, the old croquet club is beautiful, the trees are mature, it is a wildlife conservation area, the Honda Classic is here, great nightlife, beautiful parks, and great people. Also, the hotel and the name, PGA National, brings in guests from all over the world. Your money only goes to special assessments and HOA fees in your neighborhood and therefore stays in your home and not in the equity of the club, e.g., PGA National Hotel just spent $100,000,000 on the hotel..this improves the value of the houses without the homeowner spending money.

Other membership-required communities have to vote in a special assessment (e.g. Mirasol is currently voting on a $40,000,000 improvement on the gym and EVERY resident will have to pay their share of this assessment even if they never go to the gym.

We looked at houses in BallenIsles, Mirasol, and Frenchman's Creek and we found that the per square foot cost of the houses was cheaper presumably because one has to pay for membership.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2014
Security, Age of Homes and Membership would be major differences. PGA National is public accessible between 7am-9pm, after these hours guests must be called in by homeowner/tenant. Although many of the 40 neighborhoods have their own security gate 24 hrs for extra security. Club Membership is optional, golf is $42k initiation with $10k annual dues plus your respective HOA/POA fees for your neighborhood. They give you $8k referral fee if bring another member in. You can join other clubs in area for $4-6,000/year. I was former golf pro and can help with differences on each club if needed.
PGA National primarily 1980/90's homes, so prices are lower but will have higher cost of insurance than new construction. Good luck on your search, let me know if need more info. davidde@tauberrealty.com
Two things come up - the age of the properties and the fact that it is not a fully gated community. Some of the subdivisions ARE gated however.
Those would be the 'downsides'.
On a more positive note, the cost of living there is much lower then in the surrounding communities and Membership is not required. However if you do want a golf membership, it is the lease expensive in the area and you get access to 5 courses - 4 on site and a fifth a few miles out west.
Don't be confused by the previous answer! Unless you are staying at the hotel you can NOT play on any of the courses unless you have a membership. Trust me, I live there!
PGA was founded in the early 70's so some of the units are quite old. I rented a cottage there for 3 years some time ago. They have an optional golf membership and some of the courses are world famous and allow you to pay-as-you-play. There is a hotel on the grounds with a spa, restaurants and other attractions. This community was viewed as a "bargain," next to the newer more opulent communities that developed since the late 90's. It is established, and some of the homes were built in the '80's and are quite lovely. Others have a Mediterranean style architecture. There is a variety of townhouse and condo communities within. In some areas the landscaping could be upgraded, but it is still well taken care of. If you are a bird watcher, this is the place for you. Being near the bird preserve, you will be very happy with the birds you see there. Some communities have a "Dated" look, but the home interiors can be updated and beautiful. Because of the hotel and their rental properties, some consider it a "transient" communities, but that is true everywhere and you will have plenty of year 'round neighbors. Upside, it is near I-95 for airport, etc. access. Some areas are gated, some are not. Croquet games were played within, and perhaps still are. The only downside I found was the age of the homes compared to the new ones across PGA Boulevard in Mirasol, and east in Ballen Isles and the other nearby new communities. I found it a great place to live in. If you would like me or one of my team to show you homes in there, get in touch: marilynfjacobs@gmail.com or 561-988-0070. Baskin Palmer Eye Institute is on the grounds, and there is a shopping center on the grounds and across PGA Boulevard. Add up the pros and cons... you will have a wonderful world-famous community to live in.