Home Buying in Leominster>Question Details

Amy Giordano…, Renter in Leominster, MA

What is the difference in the sale price in buying a condo or buying a single family home?

Asked by Amy Giordano-blake, Leominster, MA Sat Jun 16, 2012

I am looking for a condo/townhouse in leominster, ma but I need the place to accept dogs

Answers

3
Hi Amy,

There aren't many Condos in Leominster that allow dogs, some allow cats. When you look at the price of Condos and add in the Condo fees, you may be able to get a single family home for the same amount.

I live in Leominster and specialize in Buyer Agency, please feel free to contact me Joyce@JoyceLin-RE.com if you have any questions!

j
Web Reference: http://www.JoyceLin-RE.com
Hi Amy...Yes, you should look to see if the condo or townhouse you are interested in has any restrictions regarding pets, type and/or size. The homeowner's association should be able to answer this question. It sometimes will also state it in MLS but not to be relied upon solely. Condos/townhouses have rules and regulations which sets a guide for homeowners in regards to pets, color of window treatments, satellite dishes and lots of other items. If you are really interested in a property you should read those docs but you may make an offer contingent upon review as you also would want to review the budgets, financials, and other documents associated with these type of properties. Also, the complex may need to be approved for your mortgage depending upon your type of financing. There is a hoa fee you usually pay per month that can increase as expenses are needed to make improvements. You are responsible from the walls in and the association for the outside and common areas. With a home, you are responsible for both the interior and exterior and any improvements that may be needed in any area. You do not have a monthly fee, but may be paying a landscaper, snow plower, painter, roofer etc. that could add up to the same unless you do the labor yourself. If I can be of further help, please call me at 508 648-0393 or email LHagopian@hammondre.com
One thing to realize with a condo is the condo fees may make your monthly expense the same as a single family purchase. However if you like the condo doing all the exterior maintenance it could be worth it. Ask about the dog before you even look because that is not flexible in most cases.
Prices are so good on both options right now that it depends what you want. Most lenders have to approve the condo association as part of your requirements so do keep that in mind. You'll want to be sure they approve before you get an inspection and it should be written into your offer to protect you. Happy to share more info...508-944-4954. Good luck!