Home Buying in Hicksville>Question Details

Koolgreek1, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

What is the difference between gut renovated home and new construction home in long island, NY?

Asked by Koolgreek1, Brooklyn, NY Fri May 23, 2014

What is the difference between gut renovated home and new construction home in long island, NY? Even the new construction homes i am seeing have about 50% of the original foundation of the previous home.

Answers

10
Rather than focusing on gut renovated/new construction, focus on the property that best suits your needs and financials; after an offer has been accepted, your licensed home inspector can better point out anything that may be amiss, or not, regardless the type of property.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 23, 2014
Gut renovated means what ever the writer intends it to mean.

It similar to you stating, "This is a awesome pizza!"
It only means YOU believe it to be awesome!

In the end, you know you need to lay eyes on the house and take a really close look to determine if 'gut renovated' means new skin or if gut renovated means the only thing remaining of the original house is the entry closet.

You should NEVER rely on expectation for terms that are not industry defined.
Trust and verify, and verify again.

Best of success.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 23, 2014
In the case that there is a construction from an existing partial foundation, it is considered new construction. I wouldn't look at one as superior over the other.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Assistant Director of Sales
ACADEMY MORTGAGE CORP
105 Conklin Street
Farmingdale, NY 11735
jmeneses@bankamc.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(631) 227-3258 Office
(516) 584-7138 Fax
Hi koolgreek1.

No way to know if the property is a new construction or a rehab with previous foundation, but there is a way to see if the builder is reputable and been working for a long time, or an unknown/"bad" builder, and can't find much to back his "new construction" info.

Working with an agent helps, and easily can be researched for more info.

Thank you for your valuable time!

Oleg Volfman, CBR, RSSP
Licensed R.E. Salesperson
Exit Links Realty
Mobile 917-685-0489
ovolfman@gmail.com
Mostly gut renovated homes have existing framing & foundation walls but rest of the house usually redone. The new construction homes start from scratch Ex: start from new foundation.

Local municipalities issue permits for gut renovations and new construction base on local building codes. You should contact local municipality where you planning to buy home.
Thanks Mindy. I tried finding this info online and through friends, but couldn't find anything relevant..
New should me everything is brand new.
Renovated is a face lift - sometimes looking and feeling brand new.
Good question but some homework is necessary to be accurate.
Thanks Thomas. My question really is: I am interested in a home advertised as 2014 (new construction) but has about 50% of the foundation of the previous home. I will definitely get a home inspection done, but i want to know if NY government follows some rules before they let it be advertised as new home. Any reference web links will be helpful.
There really is no standard when you are talking about just a part of the foundation remaining. If a house is down to just a partial foundation, I don't know of any towns on Long Island that would consider that a renovation for permit purposes.

As for me, I consider it a renovation if you are working within the original walls of the house. New construction is just that - all new.

If you are looking at renovated homes keep in mind that there have been a lot of renovations done on foreclosed homes that are then flipped. Sometimes the construction techniques and materials used are not the best, so I suggest that you use a good home inspector before going to contract on one of these.
Thank you Annette and Anna. My follow up question is: when about 50% of the original foundation of previous home is left, what criteria is used to issue a permit to advertise it as a new home as opposed to renovated home?
Since permits are issued by the local municipality, criteria used can better be answered by them. Generally, if part, or all, of the previous foundation is being used, the original structure was partially, or all, torn down; renovated homes generally could mean that the current structure was updated/modernized. Hope this helps. Again focus on properties that suit your needs and financials, your licensed inspector can point out whatever needs repairing...
Flag Fri May 23, 2014