Jamesr, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

What is the difference between a listing that says "Pending" and one that says "Active Contingent"?. Can the property be shown?

Asked by Jamesr, Chicago, IL Sun Sep 9, 2012

Answers

10
you should have a Realtor who you believe in #1.. your question indicates you do not.. the agent will know if something that is under contract is right for you..your way too deep into the data in my opinion
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Sounds like YOU have issues with clients trying to educate themselves!
Flag Thu Sep 13, 2012
Sounds like YOU have issues with clients educating themselves!
Flag Thu Sep 13, 2012
The MLS gives us a few options when homes go under contract, some realtors interpret these differently, and some real estate sites like Zillow and Trulia translate the codes differently. Chicago's MLS contract codes and abbreviations are different then other cities, which makes building websites tough for national sites like Trulia, Zillow etc..

This may not be accurate, but in my experience listings in Chicago are usually marked as :

PEND (short for pending), usually happens when all contingencies are met and the home is just waiting for closing to happen.

A/I (short for attorney review and inspections), usually happens when a home is under contract but in the initial attorney review and inspection phase.

SS (short for shortsale), usually shows up when a shortsale seller has signed an offer and is under contract awaiting bank response.

HS24, HS48, HS72, HC24, HC48 all imply a homesale contingency or home closing contingency, and the number of hours (i.e. 24, 48) that the under contract buyer would have to remove their contingency should the sellers agree to work with an alternate buyer.

Hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Hi James -- These are a little more rare since few sellers accept homesale or home closing contingencies these days. When they do, in my experience they are in the higher price points, usually in the $500,000 to $1,000,000+ homes. On the MLS they show for agents as HS24, HS48, however for clients they may simply show up as contingent. You can ask your realtor to do a search for HS and HC homes on the MLS if you like and you should be able to get the results.

Good luck with your purchase!
Flag Tue Sep 11, 2012
Thanks for your fresh insight and answer. The only contingency that is major is when a contingency is based on their present property being sold. Where does that show up if at all?
Flag Mon Sep 10, 2012
If a property is PEND that means that all contingencies have been satisfied and the sale is just waiting for the closing date. CTG means its under contract and could be shown and accept back up offers if the seller wants to. There are also several types of CTG, so you would need to know what type of contingency they have. If the home is CTG on the sale or close of another home it can be shown and accept non-contingent on sale or close offers. If you have a specific scenario or home you are interested in, please call and I can walk you through the situation for that particular home. Great question! Kara Keller, MSK Realty, http://www.mskrealty.net and cell 708-705-5272.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Once a property has gone under contract and is marked Contingent or Pending (which means that it is ready to close), most sellers and their agents discontinue showings. I wouldn't waste time trying to pursue those properties when there are many others available for you to see and consider. Best of luck with your search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
No such thing as active contingent. You mean contingent. Which means some contingency. Financing, inspection, attorney review, etc. Once all those terms are completed it moves to pending. Regardless it means both forms have accepted a contract.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Usually Pending means a contract has been agreed upon and fully executed, inspections done, and any problems taken care of or solutions agreed upon by both parties, contracts reviewed by each party's attorney, and the sale is pending the final closing.

Active Contingent, could be a variety of circumstances, but it means that there is a fully executed
contract on the table, but there are still contingencies that need to be taken care of, before the property will go into pending. During that time, more often than not a back up offer will be accepted, so that if
the contingencies will not be met and taken care of, the back up offers can then be negotiated..
I hope this explanation helps

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
I have never seen the words Active Contingent. It will say Contingent which means the buyer needs to sell something in order to buy so the property can still be shown.
Pending means it is under contract without any 'sale contingency', just the normal attorney review/inspection/mort contingency which usually means 99% of the time that they will not bother showing it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
How long after the contract was initiated does the buyer have to ask for repairs from their home inspection? Does the request have to be in writing (I would think so) or if the realtor says, let me know what repairs you might make", can be considered a legal request for repairs, she (realtor) is serving as seller/buyer.
I am dealing with a realtor from hell! I believe she knows where to find ethics in the dictionary but does not believe it applies to her. She took an offer on my house, it was to then be listed as "Under Contract Accepting Back Up Offers". She literally took it off the mark! So, I put it back on the market showing her name as the realtor but my phone number to insure I get calls and can schedule the appointments. (she is an idiot). Now, she has gone into a couple sites that are exclusive to realtors and changed the listing to "Contingent", what is the difference between this and "Pending"? The potential new buyers did a home inspection five days ago (offer/acceptance was signed March 17th) if I don't receive a formal request for repair letter by March 28th does that mean they are locked into the contract and are not asking me to make repairs? The repairs are minor and I've made most of them because they are so minor but, I don't want them to get to the walk through of the house anticipating I made all the repairs when I never received any information.
Both mean that there is a contract on the property. The owner can decide if they still want to show the property, but usually do not continue showings
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012