Home Buying in Cassopolis>Question Details

Dee, Home Seller in Cassopolis, MI

What is the commission for real estate agents in Michigan? Would it be the same throughout Michigan.?

Asked by Dee, Cassopolis, MI Fri May 15, 2009

Answers

7
Dee,

I am glad you are here! The commission is totally negotiable, however if someone offers you a lower fee to successfully market and sell your home than another agent, I would be curious what they are short changing you on.

With homes taking longer to sell, they require twice if not three times the amount of time and my marketing dollars to get the job done effectively, therefore I have actually adjusted my fee scale to the market conditions. I would say standard fee is around 6 or 7% however I have heard of other top agents that charge 8, 9 or 10% fee.

I would recommend interviewing a couple of agents to see the different levels of service they can provide.

Sounds like you may be shopping for a sharp agent to list your home, would you like me to refer you to other top agents who specialize in your market?

I am not in your area, but if you would like a list of questions to use for interviews send me an email and I can send you some valuable information, which will help you make a great decision.

Best Wishes

Jeremy
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 15, 2009
jeremy wrote that in 2009.
Flag Mon Jun 8, 2015
Jeremy, you're a crock of a Realtor, if in actuality you are one. 'Homes are taking longer to sell'....have you seen the rebound that Michigan is experiencing now? Granted, if the house is located in downtown Detroit then I migh agree with the time frame. HOWEVER, move up a little to Birmingham, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Troy, Bloomfield, Rochester and those houses are FLYING off of the market.
Attn Homeowner: This guy has NO idea what he is talking about....he is trying to suck you in to a higher % to scare you on selling your home. I would honestly move on to someone that will ask for a fair % based on your home worth and take it from there. What a crook!! "the amount of time and my marketing dollars to get the job done effectively"........RUN from this guy!!
Flag Fri May 16, 2014
10% LOL So I suppose by comparison, Jeremy is very reasonable, right Jeremy?! haha
Flag Wed Jul 31, 2013
there is no standard commission for real estate agents in Michigan (or any other state, for that matter)... and so the answer to your second part of the question would be "no".

Real Estate commission is totally negotiable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 15, 2009
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
What a joke!! I've read through the responses with the varying %'s.....we'll work harder to sell your home if you give us 8% as opposed to 4%! Your home will stay on the market longer.....yadda yadda ya! Negotiate a % up front and then EXPECT that the agent will do their due diligence to sell the house...THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE GETTING PAID FOR!! I would RUN from anyone who tells you that giving them 5% vs 4% will sell your house faster. It ALL depends on the market at the time you are selling your house.....lots of inventory? Prime location? The house will sell itself depending on the circumstances.
The commission is negotiable - some limited service real estate agents will offer a very low commission example ( 2 -3%) but will only list the home and not much more - a limited service agent should be disclosed on the agency disclosure - a full service agent will ask for a higher commission ( 5 - 7%) but competition will keep the agents within a percent or two - all that said you will find that you will get what your pay for - also different property will list for different commission rates ( land may be at (8-9%)
looking for Paul VanDyke realetore angent and company
I'm surprised to see Realtors answering this question the way they have. While your Realtor or broker will require a certain commission, it is against the law for Realtors in any area to "set" a commission rate. Commissions are always negotiable between the seller and the broker.

If you are considering listing your home I would strongly encourage you to consider the service you will receive from your agent before settling on a commission. There are no-service or low-service brokers who will list your home and do little else. They usually sell for a flat fee. In my experience those homes tend to stay on the market quite a while. A full service broker will engage in a goodly number of marketing strategies including listing on the MLS and all associated sites, featuring the home at sales meetings, doing a full market review with you, conducting open houses, and much more. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.
The commission amount is always negotiable. Remember, you want realtors with buyers to be motivated with your home and sometimes the amount of commission is very motivating. We realtors, just like you, work very hard for our income, especially today. Also remember you are losing opportunities to buy elsewhere everyday your home sits on the market plus the continued espenses.